Emptying Tank, New Substrate

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Lynn78too, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

I'm going to be emptying my tank completely out. We noticed some of the seals look weak and are going to be fixing it therefore it all must come out. While I'm at it I figured now is the time to change things if I want to. I currently have pea sized gravel in my tank which I don't like. It's a planted tank and somehow the plants seem to be surviving. I have 1 cory catfish and will add more once the tank is switched over. My husband likes the look of the brown gravel, he says he likes the natural look. Any suggestions on what would go well with the plants, the catfish, and look natural for my hubby?

2. StarFall

StarFall Valued Member Member

You should do a sand substrate. Sand is easy to clean, plants can grow in it, fish love it, and it looks natural. I mixed the sand in my tank with some small gravel, and I think it looks great. Also, definitely get more cories. They need to be in schools :)

3. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

I've heard sand isn't good for planted tanks??? Yes, I bought the cory a while ago and each time I go to any of the LFS they either don't carry them or they're out of stock. The one place told me to come on fish delivery day at noon because some fish are snatched up that quickly, apparently cories and rasporas are 2 of them!

4. StarFall

StarFall Valued Member Member

I have a planted tank with a sand substrate, and my plants are doing quite well. Also I know how hard it can be to find fish. Just keep checking at different stores and eventually you'll find them :)

5. BuddyD

BuddyD Well Known Member Member

A good place for fish online is Pet solutions.com I've no problems with them at all.

6. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice