empty tank

clone555

Reaction score
Hi i have a ten gallon tank that is empty because i had to give my fish away. what do you think should put in it.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to FishLore!! since you can't have fish, maybe it would make a pretty aquatic plant tank with a few really pretty mystery snails in it.
Carol

clone555

Reaction score
the only reason why i had to give the fish away is because they where to big and i don't have the money to buy a new tank.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

clone555

Reaction score
ho do you take care of real plants

newbie101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My friend's brother just gave me his tank because he didn't want it anymore it's a ten gallon and now it's a leopard gecko terrarium.

newbie101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
because my mom didn't want any more fish so she said just do a terrarium or something.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It depends on the types of plants. If you had only low-light, slow-growing, and undemanding plants, you'd have little or no work with them - as long as you have light over them. Low-light plants can be planted in the gravel or tied to rocks or driftwood. Fish love planted tanks because plants give them more hiding places and they help filter the water themselves. Small fish like neons, or any other fish similarly sized, would make a really nice view in a planted tank, even if it's only a 10 gallon tank - just as Carol has said.

clone555

Reaction score
do you need any type of special gravel?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Not for the plants that are attached to surfaces like rocks or driftwood. I have amazon swords - that are medium light plants - in a regular gravel and they do OK, though they don't "thrive" in the gravel. Perhaps if you'll have only low light plants, a regular gravel will suffice. Get a regular gravel and low light plants first, and see what happens. The results may be different for each individual - you have to experiment for yourself and see what thrives best and worst in your tank. Normally, there is an opinion that amazon swords need high light and nutrient-rich gravel, yet I only have a regular gravel and low light, and they survive.

clone555

Reaction score
Really I heard that you need fine gravel

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
i don't know the slightest about aquatic plants but (luckily) they do great in my tank!! we give them liquid plant food every once in awhile and the fish seem to love them-- i could say that i have a wet green thumb!!! LILA give it a go-- you might find it to work out with the plants easier than you thought-- like me!! ;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sure you can have fine gravel if you want. You can have it mixed with regular gravel too. Really, it depends on specific plants. You'd have to do a research on each plant you want to have, and see what substrate it requires, etc.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
clone 555- www.plantgeek.net is a great place to go and research aquatic plants.
There are all different kinds of substrates(gravel, sand, flourite etc) out there to grow plants in. It all depends on how you want your tank to look, what your fish needs are and what your plant needs are.
I have plants growing in several size gravel, sand and eco-complete(special for plants), so just depends on what you want
Do some research, figure out what you want to do and then work towards that. If we can help in anyway please let us know.
Carol
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom