Empty Tank is Driving me Nuts! 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by bolivianbaby, Jan 11, 2013.

1. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I have another empty 55g tank and I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what to stock it with. I have another 55g that I'm planning on doing a community tank with, but was thinking of turning this one into a cichlid tank.

I've kept JD's, convicts, jewels, blue rams, bolivian rams, firemouths, heros sp. rotkeil, angels, macaw cichlids, jaguar, buffaloheads, multies, cutteri, african malawi, texas, and probably a few others I've forgotten to mention.

I was thinking keyholes, blue acara, or festivums, but I can't decide.

Any suggestions or opinions?

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Make an all planted Cory tank with different species

3. Ethan

EthanWell Known MemberMember

a nice school of rainbowfish to start :D

4. Nikita

NikitaWell Known MemberMember

You could make it a Rainbow fish tank. That sounds so cool of a tank.

5. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

AP-That would be interesting, but I've kept corydoras, too and will have them in my community tank. I'm hoping to tackle my shrimp tank and turn it into a planted with the soil.

I have no luck with rainbowfish for some reason. I've lost 5 of the 7 I bought several months ago.

I'm seeing Bartoni, Regani, Firemouths, and chocolate cichlids as options.

Maybe I'll walk into the fish store with the mindset of the 55g and just pick out what calls to me. It'll be at least 2 weeks before I go.

6. Bumblebat

BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

Yeeeessss. I want to do that so badly. I want a huge tank with mass quantities of different cories. Especially pygmy cories. I only have three, but I would gladly keep three thousand. Little snufflemonsters. Cories look like little roaming herds of cows.

7. AmazonPassion

This was my concept for a Cory tank for you BB.

[video=youtube_share;7QuulOjqD8M]http://youtu.be/7QuulOjqD8M[/video]

8. beginner

beginnerValued MemberMember

I like the keyhole idea. shell dwellers?

9. Bumblebat

BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

I think I just need to sell my car to fund this. That made my heart explode.

10. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

Okay, AP-you may be on to something there. What size tank is that and how large are the "schools" of cories? In a tank setup like that, rummynose tetras (one of my favorite tetra species) would look AWESOME! Maybe some CPD's as well....hmmm....

11. troyvsc

troyvscWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I love that setup too. It's stunning.

12. AmazonPassion

The description of the tank says 3 feet long only so it is probably smaller than a 55g, imagine the possibility of your 55g :)

13. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

14. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Now that's just tempting lol and I thought I had my stocking list for mine ;)

15. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

16. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

They're available on aquabid - same seller I got mine from.

They were actually one of the first fish in the hobby, and the first cichlids to be bred in captivity. Terrific fish. They seem indifferent to everything else in the tank, except when they spawn. Those videos are a bit old - stock was tiger barbs, Colombian tetras, giant danios, zebra loaches, Bolivian rams and a clown Pleco. I swapped out the tiger barbs and Colombian tetras for gold and rosy barbs. They don't bother the rams, though I'm not sure how they would interact with cichlids more their own size, or bigger.