Empty Tank Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by beginnerbecky, Jul 28, 2019.

1. beginnerbecky

beginnerbeckyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 10 gallon tank that I recently scaped in case I ended up buying a betta I had fallen in love with. It has a good filter with cycled media and sponges but I'm not quite done with it yet and I wasn't planning on doing anything with it. I'm pretty beginner I've only had a betta and two ADFs (I have one now) but I think i know some stuff from all my weird experiences and research. Anyways, this tank has some wood and plants, and indian almond leaves so i knew there would be changes once I got back from a week long trip. As expected, the plants weren't doing the best and all the hornwort died but I got over it. BUT THEN i was a large snail moving around on the dirty wood (I realize it gets weirdly dirty when you put it in tanks). I didn't freak out because I don't mind it too much as long as there was only one (which there probably isn't) THEN i realized it was right on top of one of many PILES OF WORMs. I assume it's planaria as I got some of the plants from a tank which had just had an outbreak but I don't know what to do about them. They're brown and tiny and just kinda sit on the wood looking like dead bloodworms. So far I only see them on the wood and maybe a few on the sand and probably a few in the dead hornwort. If anyone made it through this huge paragraph PLEASE HELP any suggestions? I don't want that one beautful snail to die also!!!

Sorry that this is so huge I just joined the forum cuz i needed help! THanks!

2. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
  3. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,370
    Experience:
    1 year
    First of all welcome to Fishlore. Also don't worry about the amount that you wrote, I can read it just fine. If you are worried it's getting too long just make it into two or three separate paragraphs to be easier to read.

Do you have any pics of the snail and the worms? Generally worms will appear if there is a food source for them. Do you gravel vac the tank at all? If there is waste collecting in the substrate and on the wood you should vac it out to remove their food source.

If you overfeed I would cut back on that too. Feed less so that there is less left over food for the worms and they will eventually begin to die off. After feeding if there is leftover food you should gravel vac that out too. This will control both the worms and the snails (if there are more and they breed).

4. Fishproblem

FishproblemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +73
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hi, and welcome to fishlore! Sounds like you know about the nitrogen cycle already, which is awesome.

It also sounds like you might need to up your tank maintenance. Tons of worms, and weirdly dirty driftwood, are almost always the result of too much waste. Snails are super filthy, so that guy is probably pooping all over the place. Do a good 50% water change, using a siphon to suck off the filth from the driftwood and as much detritus out of your substrate. Continue doing that for a week, and then stick to one 50% water change and cleaning a week. The planaria will go away without detritus to eat, and your tank will be much cleaner!

Do you have photos of the tank? I'd love to see it!

5. LynnwoodFishDad

LynnwoodFishDadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +187
    Experience:
    1 year
    Live plants can help as well. I gravel vac once a month out of habit but my water is nearly clear. I do 25% water changes weekly and have never had a nitrate spike above 5ppm

6. OP
    OP
    beginnerbecky

beginnerbeckyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there sorry everyone I'm pretty sure it's actually just snail poo and I completley overreacted XD oopsies thank you so much for everything though lol. I definetly need to research my snails tho Im just paranoid and a beginner haha thank you!!!

IMG_20190728_215042. Excuse

Excuse the photo quality haha I spent no money on it and used a bunch of old stuff I had

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2019
  7. Fishproblem

FishproblemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +73
    Experience:
    3 years
    Tank's already looking great! your betta will really appreciate the plants as they grow in to fill the space. Have fun cleaning snail poop - it's not that bad