Empty Tank For Betta How Do I

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Holographiccowfish, Jun 23, 2018.

1. H

Holographiccowfish New Member Member

I have an empty 5 gallon tank lying around and I am planning on cleaning it up and getting a Betta does anyone have any tips on cycling the tank,Gravel,deco,and plants I would greatly appreciate it

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Live or fake plants? For gravel I like to do black because it always makes the betta POP unless, your getting a black colored betta then I would go with red. For a decoration maybe a little cave like this one:  
    For cycling the tank, if you already have an existing tank you can use the filter cartridge from that one and the tank would be ready in 24 to 48 hours. Also when you add your betta put in some stress zyme not only does it calm them down it add BB so it’s good for newer tanks.
    When you get your betta be sure to post some pictures! :)

3. OP
    OP
    H

Thank you so much
    Thank you so much

4. FishFor2018

No problem. Are you doing a live planted tank? If not make sure you use silk plants NOT plastic, plastic plants can rip your betta’s fins.

5. OP
    OP
    H

I am thinking of doing sand with a few live plants. What type of clean up crew can I use since I have had very hard time with algae and plants

6. FishFor2018

GHOST SHRIMP! Those are the best cleaners with algae and uneaten food. They are CLEANING MACHINES. For your tank I would get three or four. They are super cheap. Usually cost about 50 cents in the USA

7. OP
    OP
    H

Thank you soooooo much you have been a huge help

8. FishFor2018

No problem. Hope everything goes great and don’t forget to post pictures after it’s all setup!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice