Empty Snail Shells Ok?

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello folks.
Today I went to a lake near my house too see what I could find to add to my tanks and I saw a lot empty snail shells. I grabbed two of them and brought them home along with some plants and oak leaves.

2z5uon9.jpg

I washed them with a hose and them put them in a bucked with boiling water twice.

Are these ok to put in a cherry shrimp tank as a decoration/hide out for the shrimp? Is it beneficial, detrimental or neither? Will the affect parameters in any way?
Is it ok to put in a regular community tank?

Thank you.
Joe

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it will be just fine, you boiled it so anything bad was cleaned out, it wont change perameters t all, have fun with it

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is a lot of disagreement on this topic, I am not saying that I am right, but IMO, I never put anything from out side in my tank. It only takes one missed nook in the Shell to harbor a toxin and you kill you tank. This goes more for driftwood and rocks but shells are just as likely. IDK about leaves, if you pluck them right off the tree maybe OK but then they would be green. Again, I am not wanting to open an argument about this, I know many people do take items from the local environment and successfully put them in there tank. I personally just would not risk it.

alauruin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tjander said:
There is a lot of disagreement on this topic, I am not saying that I am right, but IMO, I never put anything from out side in my tank. It only takes one missed nook in the Shell to harbor a toxin and you kill you tank. This goes more for driftwood and rocks but shells are just as likely. IDK about leaves, if you pluck them right off the tree maybe OK but then they would be green. Again, I am not wanting to open an argument about this, I know many people do take items from the local environment and successfully put them in there tank. I personally just would not risk it.
Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but... how is driftwood ever not "from outside"?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
he/she means not treated. when u buy from a store it been treated, as to when u find outside who knows what is in it, such as pesticides, larve, and much more. i disagree with his/her statment but i do so respectfully, and i always say, what works for 1 may not work for the other.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@Ms rose, thanks for clearing that up. And as I said I am aware of people who have done it successfully, all I am saying is it’s not what I would ever do and if I wound not do it then I can’t recommend the practice.
Thanks again.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say it's fine. I have a rock in mine that I found by the local river a few years ago. I had been using it as decoration in an outside plant bed. When I got my tank, I just scrubbed it in cold untreated tap water and put in the tank at initial start up. Six weeks later and no problems.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for your input.

I understand the risks associated with putting things from outside in fish tanks. I always boil things and although it may not be 100% safe, it works for me, or at least it has worked until now. This would be the first time I will add anything I got myself. Although all my decor in both my tanks are natural, I got them from pet stores and other stores, and still I boil everything that can be boiled. I hope the boiling water works on the shells as well.

Thanks

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do it all the time. Add stuff from outside that is. My Clown pleco and Otos thank me for it when I give them fresh wood and leaf litter with algae and aufwuchs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom