Empty Nest Syndrome..

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi there, been awhile fishlorians ...

Do any of you ever suffer from empty nest syndrome? .... Not long ago my bristlenose plecos started breeding like bunnies....today 50 of them are gone to LFS....still some smaller ones here and there...but now I'm missing them...wish I had kept this one or that one...don't really have room for that many pleco though obviously but yeah kinda sad now.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just gave 30 severum fry to my LFS and all the way there I kept saying I was sorry to them(the fry) and I felt so sad for the whole day
I don’t think you are alone. I still have to catch about a hundred more but I want to call and make sure the babies I gave them are ok and if not I have no idea what I will do with them. It is very heartbreaking to me. I hope you feel better about it soon. I was told it’s the best thing to do but it didn’t feel that way.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh exactly the same, wondering how they are at the store, if/when they will be sold....what kind of diet they will have, what kind of tank...how they will turn out once grown..some had more extreme version of their Dad's pattern.....some of them I had let grow out to the point they were getting some bristles....ahh my babies.. But there's no way for me to keep an all...plus I have given some away too....

I was able to keep all my corydora kids atleast... And I got a couple new fish and plants today.... layful:

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wish I knew people in my area that would like some so I would know for sure that they would get a good home but I don’t think aquariums are a thing in Maine lol i was supposed to drop a bunch more off yesterday but I didn’t do it. I want to call and ask if the babies I gave them are ok but then again I don’t. It’s really hard but I am in the same boat, I can’t have 200 Severums in my tank

I also had corydora kids and I hatched all the eggs and kept about 20 of them. I have 7 tanks as of now and I really can’t get anymore, so no new fish for now

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah, the joys and sorrows of parenthood. .❤

I remember those days, I use to have allot of tanks but cut back because of work it was getting difficult to keep up with maintaining them all.... Or I could have kept more... Ah well...

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would like to down size but the fish I have can’t be put together. I have a flowerhorn, by himself. Two bettas each in their own 10 gallon. I was going to put the bettas in one ten gallon and put up a divider but I didn’t want to upset my old man betta lol Then I have a 29 gallon and the plants are so nice so I just couldn’t take that down. Plus a couple other tanks.

I agree they are a lot of work, I will have to down size as soon as possible.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ahh I understand, sometimes I think about setting up more again but have to remember the maintenance and upkeep but would love some more betta kids too oo...

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’m going to have to start selling my GBR fry soon. I’m planning on keeping a few but I really hope the ones that I do give away will have good homes. I’m pretty attached to the little guys, so I hope it won’t be too hard to let them go

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh gosh they have to be the most adorable babes! I've kept Bolivians I never did get Germans though, always heard they were so sensitive so the few times I had opportunity I went with bolivian. Do u have fry pictures? Guess we just have to the think how it wouldn't be a good life living terribly overcrowded so hopefully they find nice homes elsewhere. *pats shoulder empatheticly*

Lacey D

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FLGirl said:
Hi there, been awhile fishlorians ...

Do any of you ever suffer from empty nest syndrome? .... Not long ago my bristlenose plecos started breeding like bunnies....today 50 of them are gone to LFS....still some smaller ones here and there...but now I'm missing them...wish I had kept this one or that one...don't really have room for that many pleco though obviously but yeah kinda sad now.
Ah, I feel for you Right now I am breeding P-class endlers, and the PLAN is to sell the boys back to the LFS...but dang it, they're so pretty! They were little surprises--the females arrived pregnant, so I had no clue what genetics they would come out with. One is a snakeskin who just developed his pattern--that type didn't attract me much in the store, but he is GORGEOUS! I might have to wait a few generations until I'm jaded enough to part with some
I am hoping to have a breeding pair of bristlenose plecos in my new aquarium when I'm all done setting it up...love the little prehistoric looking guys, so I imagine parting with them is going to be just as hard!

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lacey D said:
Ah, I feel for you Right now I am breeding P-class endlers, and the PLAN is to sell the boys back to the LFS...but dang it, they're so pretty! They were little surprises--the females arrived pregnant, so I had no clue what genetics they would come out with. One is a snakeskin who just developed his pattern--that type didn't attract me much in the store, but he is GORGEOUS! I might have to wait a few generations until I'm jaded enough to part with some
I am hoping to have a breeding pair of bristlenose plecos in my new aquarium when I'm all done setting it up...love the little prehistoric looking guys, so I imagine parting with them is going to be just as hard!
Aww, after all these years Iv still never had guppies or endlers, I always admire their beauty! I imagine it will be difficult to part with them.

Good luck with the bristlenose...they're adorable...mine didn't breed for awhile but now they won't stop! :woot:.. I miss them but trying think Of the positive.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I couldn’t bring myself to bring anymore babies in this week! Lol Maybe next week I will be able to do it. The babies look just like dad with their stripes and they are about the size of a dime. When I feed them flakes they sound like Rice Krispies cereal when milk is added!!! Oh I’m tearing up! Lol

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awwww layful:

Nikki2577 said:
I couldn’t bring myself to bring anymore babies in this week! Lol Maybe next week I will be able to do it. The babies look just like dad with their stripes and they are about the size of a dime. When I feed them flakes they sound like Rice Krispies cereal when milk is added!!! Oh I’m tearing up! Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom