empty multiple tanks

1. akamel Member Member

what should I do ?? I love both fresh and marine fish! Have never had a salty but am doing the research (for months now) and not sure what to do. I have an empty 65 gal but also a near empty wallet ! lol ! however the tax season is coming very soon and Im thinking maybe then I can set it up. However...maybe its too soon to spend so much $$ on that. Now I have (2) 10 gal & a 5 gal empty. I do have a 30 gal with only 1 little tiny GSP in it--I could rehome him to one of the 10 gal for now. The whole salty thing really scares me !! But I really want to make that leap.Should I start off smaller and work my way up, slowly start collecting things for the 65 or just bite the bullet??? BTW-i want a reef tank.Any thoughts or opinions??

2. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Go for the Big tank....the more water the easyer to keep it right. But in the end the 65 wont be big enought for everything you will want to put in it.:;dete

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I say save up the money for the SW, and wait until you have enough plus a little extra for any emergencies.

4. ATP Well Known Member Member

I agree. Save up for the 65 gal. tank.

5. akamel Member Member

ok--thats what i was thinking too !! i guess its the big one then !! thanks!

6. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

yes - with salty the bigger the better.
    Also, start of with a FOWLER tank, and then if you want to turn it into a reef later, you just need the new lighting, make sure whilst you've got FOWLER to keep fish that are reef safe anyway, unless you're okay with just randomly rehoming fish.

With a FOWLER, you're only a tiny step away from reef :) Thats what i'm doing, but i'm still doing FOWLER at the moment, whilst i learn about corals and the lighting, and once i've learn (and saved up enough) I will upgrade my lighting and be ready straight away!