Empty freshwater snail shell

1. l

lilred829 New Member Member

Hello all,
    First time user here!
    Today we went canoeing in a freshwater pond and took home a couple empty snail shells. After rinsing one larger shell we put it in our freshwater tank. We have one clawed frog and one angel fish in our five gallon tank, and I'm worried the shell wasn't safe to add! My angel fish has been hanging out above it too. We were thinking it could be a nice addition but now I'm worried it will mess up their chemical balance!

Does anyone know if this is safe for our tank? Should I remove it? Note: there is still pond algae on the shell.

2. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum!

I would recommend pulling it out. If you want to put it in, clean off the algae and boil it to remove anything dangerous that may have been on it from the pond, then let it dry out. After that, should be good to put in there.

I don't personally keep angels, but I do want to mention he/she is going to end up needing a larger home at some point.

3. OP
    OP
    l

lilred829 New Member Member

Thanks! I'd rather be safe than sorry! I took it out for now, just in case.

How would I know if/when it needs a new home?

4. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

bizaliz3 could you provide some angel expertise? Other than knowing that a 5g won't last long for the little guy with how big they get, I have none.

5. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

How big is your angelfish right now? And how long has he been kept in there? And is he the only fish in there? The only angelfish I would ever keep in a 5 gallon are angelfish fry. You really need to consider upgrading or rehoming that angelfish. That tiny tank is a much bigger deal than the empty snail shell....

It needs a new home now. Or its health is in serious danger....

6. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

Yeah I agree. Get a 30 gallon tank ASAP or rehome him. He will be stunted if you don't.
    ~Mudkipz