Empty 29~ New Project!

SCWood

Valued Member
Reaction score
My fiancee and I have been dying to move into an apartment and, provided we receive good news, we will be next month! We have an empty 29 gallon tank that used to be a saltwater tank and was then given to us for a snake. I want to test it for leaks and, if it's safe, use it as a freshwater tank! We love platies and mollies, so we will stock with those. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with bare bottom? It appeals to me much more so than gravel. Also, what filters and other necessities would you recommend (brand specific!)? It has no top, so we will be looking into the lighting. Any tips for a smooth cycle? I usually purchase water by the gallon for my bettas, but I'm thinking it will get costly with a large tank. Perhaps someone could explain to me how to mix/treat tap water before adding it to the tank? I'm sure I'm missing questions but my mind is a blur right now

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One thing you need to be careful about is glass thickness. If the tank is a 29 gallon aquarium it will be fine, but if it was sold as a 29 gallon reptile tank, the glass may be too thin. I know that there is some gallon amount where the thickness of the glass needs to increase to handle the pressure, but I forget what the gallon amount/glass thickness is.

So I don't know it will be a problem, but it might be something you want to check out.

SCWood

Valued Member
Reaction score
One thing you need to be careful about is glass thickness. If the tank is a 29 gallon aquarium it will be fine, but if it was sold as a 29 gallon reptile tank, the glass may be too thin. I know that there is some gallon amount where the thickness of the glass needs to increase to handle the pressure, but I forget what the gallon amount/glass thickness is.

So I don't know it will be a problem, but it might be something you want to check out.
Would it be best to test it in the tub? It was originally used as a fish tank but I have no clue what it was sold as

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Perhaps someone could explain to me how to mix/treat tap water before adding it to the tank? I'm sure I'm missing questions but my mind is a blur right now
A product called Seachem Prime is most commonly used to treat tap water around here. It dechlorinates your water and locks up ammonia for 24 hours. You should also test your tap water by itself just to see what its initial levels are. You can use the API Freshwater Test kit. You should use both of those products in general anyway

SCWood

Valued Member
Reaction score
A product called Seachem Prime is most commonly used to treat tap water around here. It dechlorinates your water and locks up ammonia for 24 hours. You should also test your tap water by itself just to see what its initial levels are. You can use the API Freshwater Test kit. You should use both of those products in general anyway
Do you treat it in a bucket and then pour it in?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
do you have a hose outside that you can put it on a completely flat surface like your driveway or garage? Or do the old fashioned way and fill it up with 5 gallon buckets while it's on the stand.

SCWood

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes I could do that before we move

Would ya'll trust AqAdvisor for stocking a tank?

Last edited by a moderator:

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
No it does not have accurate sizes or bioload calculations. It's a decent tool to give a basic idea but not completely accurate

SCWood

Valued Member
Reaction score
No it does not have accurate sizes or bioload calculations. It's a decent tool to give a basic idea but not completely accurate
Understood!

I'm also looking into Marineland filters. I like the Penguin 200B.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would it be best to test it in the tub? It was originally used as a fish tank but I have no clue what it was sold as
You could, but since it was previously used as a fish tank, it's probably fine.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I use a marineland penguin 200 on my 36 gallon along with a sunsun 403b. For a 29 gallon tank you will want around 300 gph. You can either do that with two filters or one bigger filter.

SCWood

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use a marineland penguin 200 on my 36 gallon along with a sunsun 403b. For a 29 gallon tank you will want around 300 gph. You can either do that with two filters or one bigger filter.
Okay! Are Marineland good in general? I think I'll just have one large one

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I've had mine for 9 months with little problem. They aren't the quietest filters in the world but they do a good job. I know lots of people also use the aquaclears

Peacefantasy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would consider getting two.. its nice having more media. You never know when youll need it (maybe seed another tank?)

SCWood

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would consider getting two.. its nice having more media. You never know when youll need it (maybe seed another tank?)
2 small or 2 of the same size?

Also, any recommendations for hooding/lighting? Heaters? Bare bottom or gravel? I personally love bare bottom!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom