Empty 29 Gal Tank

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So we've got an empty 29 gallon tank and want to know the best fish to put in it?

We want schooling fish as don't want to have this big tank for just one fish.

Suggestions for good fish that are good for beginners?

Were clueless on what to stock it with

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
abarb said:
What temperature do you want to keep it at? What's your source water's ph, gh, and kh? Maybe a shoal of corydoras and some type of tetra.
We can change the temperature with a heater but probably wouldn't want any cold water fish.
No idea about gh and kh and have nothing to test it.
Ph is 7.6/7.8 for out of the tap water

We have a 20 gallon tank with Cory catfish and neon tetras so I wanna do something different for this other tank I think

PheonixKingZ said:
Give it to me!!! Lol I’m just kidding!! (Although I would love a 29 gal. Tank!)) So I would get some danios, really hardy fish, maybe some KuhliI Loaches, Amano Shrimp, mystery snails, Dwarf Gourami(1), and maybe a bristle nose pleco!!
I'll look into those ones! Probably won't do shrimp as I know they're really picky about water conditions and I'd probably kill them..

abarb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I suggest buying apI gh and kh test kit because you can't keep hard water fish in soft water.
Shrimp are not very hard to keep. You just need about 1 hour of drip acclimating, suitable ph, gh, and kh for the species, fish that won't eat them, plants, and calcium for their molts.

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
abarb said:
I suggest buying apI gh and kh test kit because you can't keep hard water fish in soft water.
Shrimp are not very hard to keep. You just need about 1 hour of drip acclimating, suitable ph, gh, and kh for the species, fish that won't eat them, plants, and calcium for their molts.
I'll buy a kit as soon as I have the money and test. Honestly didn't know those were factors bc I'm a newbie

abarb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Zai said:
I'll buy a kit as soon as I have the money and test. Honestly didn't know those were factors bc I'm a newbie
Many people don't consider gh and kh when stocking a tank. It's $8.51 on amazon.

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
abarb said:
Many people don't consider gh and kh when stocking a tank. It's $8.51 on amazon.
Thank you! Yeah I've only had fish since November and I'm not doing so well so far so I definitely didn't know haha

Canaculus said:
You should do a jungle tank with a bunch of cories and oto's with a bn pleco. Heavily plant it and get a temple piece.
That's just my idea .
I love the idea of a heavily planted tank, I want to maje my 20 gal heavily planted. I'm just working on it xD I wish I had the money to have someone come landscape my tanks for me haha

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
PheonixKingZ said:
No bro, Amano Shrimp are very hardy.
Had no idea lol. My lame ass is new to all this. I'll look into them too

yinoma2001

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I regretfully stocked our 29 (we were beginners) with platy varieties. They reproduced and now we have double the amount (but under control after we gave away the boys).

We have only one male dwarf gouramI and it's heavily planted.

New Threads