Employment status

Discussion in 'bubblynutter' started by bubblynutter, Mar 22, 2010.

1. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

I just thought I would update you all on the craziness that is my life.

Back in February of '09 I was made redundant at the best job I've ever had. I was the Executive Assistant to the CEO. The CEO resigned, and they didn't want to keep me around.

So began the long employment search. I have been in the Army for 5 years, and was able to supplement my income with work around the depot. I looked for work from March to June, doing odd bits of work for my former boss in between. I found a role from May to June (supposed to be permanent) but the guy turned out to be a jerk. We parted ways.

I instructed on a couple of Army courses in Aug/Sep, and ended up temping in November. I found my current role at the end of November, which was supposed to be a temp - perm opportunity. Anything to get a buck, right?

So anyway, I found out last week that these so-and-so's won't be making me a permanent offer, and have started interviewing this week to replace me.
    Things are incredibly stressful, I have started job searching again but there isn't much out there in the Personal Assistant stream, thanks to the GFC. Of the last 13 months, I have been gainfully employed for 4.5 of them.

My health has hit new lows, thanks to stress and lack of sleep, and my 39yo housemate is threatening to move out (as he doesn't feel like it's his "home" - what do you expect when you move in with an established couple?!).
    I am expecting a rather large fight with my husband in the next few weeks when he realises that I have put the deposit on a new (massive!) tank, when I am supposed to be penny-pinching.

Just wanted to get some frustration off my chest. Thanks for 'listening'!

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

Hang in there Bubble, Times are hard right now everywhere in the job market. 10 years ago I had to go on disability due to a major stroke. At the time I was making 275 grand a year and dropped down to $700 a month and added hspital bills. Stress makes us do crazy things (buying a tank we can't afford). LOL I've been there. My life isn't the same as it was but I survived. I was told I'd never walk and within 1 year I didn't even use a walker anymore. Now I'm just getting older arthritis settling in the joints and I'm only 52. (42 when I had stroke). Your husband may complain , yell and fuss he's under stress I'm sure also. JUst hang in there luv. Prayers are with you.

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:;group

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this.

We're here for you 100% and please let us know if there's anything we can do:;hug2 Our thoughts are with you.

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

hugs to you.

6. c

click Well Known Member Member

Try to keep your head up. You know what they say, after storm the sun will come out. I'm sure good things are ahead for you. All the best!

7. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Thanks everyone. I feel the love!

I also feel a bit selfish, knowing that others have it so much worse than me. But then I think you know what? Things do suck for me right now, so I am allowed to wallow a bit!

I have a few job interviews, so hopefully something will come out of that. I'm off work today, I woke up really sick. ;:barf I guess I should have taken more time to get over my ear & throat infection on the weekend... Oh well, such is life!

Some positive news - I saw all 8 loaches partake in a feeding frenzy last night when I gave them bloodworms! I was worried one of them didn't make it, but they were all as happy as can be. Makes me feel a bit better knowing my fin babies are happy. :;group

8. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

<hugs>

9. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

Alright on the loaches :;hf You Go Girl!

:;hug2

10. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

hmmm.... It seems the chaos erupted a little earlier than planned.
    I left Fishlore open on my home pc, and my partner saw my signature...
    He asked what does 23G and 46G mean? I said they are tank sizes....

He said "so then what is that 180G due mid-april? Have you bought another tank?"

:;smack :whistling:
    Let's just say I am officially in the dog house.

11. c

click Well Known Member Member

Oops? :giggle:

Well, he would have learned sooner or later, is not like you can hide a 180g for long

Hope he didn't take it too hard. Tell him the 180g will lift your spirits up.

12. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

I was planning to get it delivered AFTER I had the good news of a new job, because then I could have slipped in the "treat" for getting a new job!

Yeah, oops doesn't even begin to cover the trouble I'm in... :;fim

13. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Hang in there Bubbly!!! it all works out. I have been unemployed for almost a year now...was at my job for 13 years and bang.......

Things are actually getting along fairly decent and it will all work out for you too!

14. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

OK - Happy Easter everyone. I just got given my two weeks notice at my contract position.

As of April 16 - I am once again unemployed. Here's hoping I get a new offer before that date. Otherwise I may lose the deposit on the new tank... :(

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Best wishes Bubblynutter!

Ken

16. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

thanks ken!

I did get a call at the end of the day about another role that looks really promising. Hopefully everything works out. Won't know for two weeks tho... Fins crossed!

17. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

:console: Things always have a way of working out.....

18. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

:;toast heres wishing you the best of luck :;toast

19. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

We're all wishing the best for you!

20. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

thank you everyone!

Fishlore is definitely the best forum I've ever been on! You are all so supportive, unquestioningly!
    :;group

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice