Empire Gudgeon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Gobies' started by junebug, Jul 14, 2015.

1. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

When my video uploads.... LOL.

I've been videoing and photographing this tank trying to get some footage of these fish. They are normally pretty shy, but I made some modifications and now, they're doing their breeding dance out in the open, where I can see. :)

Such a gorgeous fish. I'm hoping to learn how to raise the fry.

2. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Wow!! they are lovely! The male is incredibly colored!

What size tank to you have them in? It is looking awesome and I hope they make some healthy babies for you.

3. OP
    OP
    junebug

LOL they're actually in my M. ansorgii biotope right now. When I move (and they've been treated for cam. worms) they're getting their own 20 gallon, and a ten gallon spawn tank so I can try to get some of their babies to survive.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, that's a beautiful fish!

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Back in the 1980s, a friend had a pair spawn in a 20high. The tiny eggs were plastered all over the glass, all four sides. Probably tens of thousands of eggs. Of course it was impossible to raise the fry, as they have a very unusual life cycle.

I wish you luck on your attempts to breed them!

6. OP
    OP
    junebug

The main problem with their fry is how tiny they are. Getting them enough food that they can actually eat is nearly impossible. Environmental factors appear to be an issue too, likely the SG of the water they're raised in. I'm hoping to locate some information on the type of water where the fry are found in their larval stage, then prepare a tank with similar water and let it age with an infusoria and protozoa culture to (hopefully) let the fry grow to the point where they can accept larger foods.

The food they eat in the wild are oyster larvae, which are high in certain fatty acids. I'm hoping to locate some food (those oyster larvae aren't available for sale anymore) that contains similar proteins and fatty acids to seed the tank with.

This is gonna be a project :p if you hadn't guessed yet LOL.

7. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

They are beauties! Best of luck with this project!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice