Empire Gudgeon Spawning

Discussion in 'Freshwater Gobies' started by junebug, Jul 24, 2015.

1. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

http://youtu.be/2SXSwuqtCig

Pretty fish making babies! You can see the female depositing eggs on the crinum, and the male following behind her depositing his... well stuff :p.

It's an awesome process to watch so far. They're hitting the crinums and the rock - from what I've read, when they're done, there could be eggs all over this 20 gallon tank. The babies won't survive, because this tank can't be moved to brackish, and I have no foods prepared, and there are predatory fish in the tank that will eat the babies without a doubt. But still, I get to at least observe the process.

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Wow it's........ beautiful! So fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing! :D

3. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

The terrible thing about this is that I can't watch the video till I get the laptop away from my wife..... Nice to hear they are spawning, maybe when you get a chance you can set up that brackish tank and come to the dark side.

4. OP
    OP
    junebug

LOL I have a brackish tank, but it's only 3 gallons. The adults would barely fit in it :p

I'm hoping to set something up for the babies in the form of a ten gallon lightly brackish tank full of various algaes and microorganisms. This will have to wait until I move, though.

5. Wendigoblue

WendigoblueWell Known MemberMember

Awesome video! Your fish are beautiful!

6. OP
    OP
    junebug

Thanks echi :) They were a gift/trade from a friend from the IBC. She sent me the fish she loved, but didn't have appropriate housing for, and I sent her some wood for her w/c betta macrostoma tank. :D It was just supposed to be the ansorgii originally, but one of them went MIA so she offered me the gudgeons to make up for the loss. Not a big deal, I figured I'd give them to my bf after quarantine. But then I fell in love with them, so now I'm being selfish :p LOL.

Dey are mine. Mine I tell you!

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Great video!