Empire Gudgeon Spawning

Discussion in 'Freshwater Gobies' started by junebug, Jul 24, 2015.

1. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Pretty fish making babies! You can see the female depositing eggs on the crinum, and the male following behind her depositing his... well stuff :p.

It's an awesome process to watch so far. They're hitting the crinums and the rock - from what I've read, when they're done, there could be eggs all over this 20 gallon tank. The babies won't survive, because this tank can't be moved to brackish, and I have no foods prepared, and there are predatory fish in the tank that will eat the babies without a doubt. But still, I get to at least observe the process.

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Wow it's........ beautiful! So fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing! :D

3. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

The terrible thing about this is that I can't watch the video till I get the laptop away from my wife..... Nice to hear they are spawning, maybe when you get a chance you can set up that brackish tank and come to the dark side.

4. OP
    OP
    junebug

LOL I have a brackish tank, but it's only 3 gallons. The adults would barely fit in it :p

I'm hoping to set something up for the babies in the form of a ten gallon lightly brackish tank full of various algaes and microorganisms. This will have to wait until I move, though.

5. Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

Awesome video! Your fish are beautiful!

6. OP
    OP
    junebug

Thanks echi :) They were a gift/trade from a friend from the IBC. She sent me the fish she loved, but didn't have appropriate housing for, and I sent her some wood for her w/c betta macrostoma tank. :D It was just supposed to be the ansorgii originally, but one of them went MIA so she offered me the gudgeons to make up for the loss. Not a big deal, I figured I'd give them to my bf after quarantine. But then I fell in love with them, so now I'm being selfish :p LOL.

Dey are mine. Mine I tell you!

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Great video!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice