Empire Gudgeon Situation

Discussion in 'Freshwater Gobies' started by Ed204, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Ed204

Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,299
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hey Y’all,
    As I’ve previously stated on my other threads, I’ve been recently encountering several problems with my group of Empire Gudgeons.

A week ago, I had 3 Ember Tetras in the tank along with the Empires and they were just doing fine. I decided to add more Embers and the following morning I saw that I’ve lost 4 Embers. 3 days have passed and every morning I’ve lost more and more Embers.

I’ve personally witnessed the Empires attacking and feeding on the Embers. The biggest Empire, whose mouth is big enough to fit an Ember initiates the attack and the others most likely join in the feeding.

I don’t think it’s a matter of not keeping the tank well-fed either. The other day, I fed a hefty amount of bloodworms to the tank but Embers still fell causality.

My question is, I’m planning to introduce some Cherry Barbs into the tank (25G). They’re twice as big as Embers but I’m still having doubts that the Empires will try and feed on them too.

I was thinking maybe, removing the Empires from the tank and switching them out for the barbs. And after a few days, re-introduce them into the tank.

I’m really trying to make something work, because the middle-too region of the tank looks quite bland.

Much Thanks!
    Ed

2. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,270
    Experience:
    Just started
    I don't know if Cherry Barbs would be safe or not; however, I don't believe removing and then reintroducing the gudgeons will stop them from snacking on other fish, if they were so inclined. It isn't a territorial thing, but a big-fish-eat-little fish thing

3. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,299
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hello,
    I don't really understand why the Empires started snacking on the Embers. It started when I introduced 7 more into the tank and ever since, they've been snacking on the Embers every night/dawn.

The Embers are quite tiny in comparison to the biggest Empire. And that particular Empire can technically fit the Embers into their mouths. However, what the Empires do is they stalk the Embers like prey and kill them, then eat them later. It's not a one bite and eat thing. It's kill, dead fish still whole, eat later.

Wouldn't fish normally not attack anything it can't fit into it's mouth? Cherries are twice if not 3 times as big as Embers, so technically speaking, they fall out of that category. But I guess we won't know until it actually happens.

I know it's quite impatient, but I'm really trying to make it work. Any experience or tips that would maybe make it possible?