Emperor tetras being aggresive

(4 foot tank 8 cardinals-7 neons-4 corys-2 small angels-8 silver tetras) parameters all fine -well planted)hi brought 2 emperor tetras a large male and largish female. He is attacking the silver and neon tetras and now the corys if the come close to his side of the tank. I have 2 angles and he leaves them alone. I've only had him 4 days. I read that 2 can be kept in peace. I'm now thinking of buying 5 more females to maybe see if he stops attacking the other fish. The problem is the shop that has them is 25 miles from me and these fish are expensive in this city. If i buy them and the attacking carries in, it's going to be an issue driving back and returning them i think. I actually really like them, there sheen is so pretty.
Has anybody had experience with these tetras being aggressive?
There's so many videos , mostly Australian , for some reason, of youtube fishkeepers saying they are super peaceful fish and are shocked when someone in comments says 'hey they attacked my fish etc'.

Solution
Hey, I keep emperors and this is part of their behaviour, they differ from other tetras. If you have a few more, it will help to mellow him out. In my experience, they do settle a bit. When my emperors went in the big tank the male claimed his territory and would only let one of the females near his plant. After a few weeks, he became a bit less territorial.

Advice;
1. get them up to a small school
2. give them time, they will mellow.
Thanks for your reply. I think he is trying to court the single female and pushing her into the plants. However, he keeps hitting the catfish and the silver tetras. Like i said, the store is so far, i'm going to have to make a decision. Thanks for the advice.
Hey, I keep emperors and this is part of their behaviour, they differ from other tetras. If you have a few more, it will help to mellow him out. In my experience, they do settle a bit. When my emperors went in the big tank the male claimed his territory and would only let one of the females near his plant. After a few weeks, he became a bit less territorial.

Advice;

(4 foot tank 8 cardinals-7 neons-4 corys-2 small angels-8 silver tetras) parameters all fine -well planted)hi brought 2 emperor tetras a large male and largish female. He is attacking the silver and neon tetras and now the corys if the come close to his side of the tank. I have 2 angles and he leaves them alone. I've only had him 4 days. I read that 2 can be kept in peace. I'm now thinking of buying 5 more females to maybe see if he stops attacking the other fish. The problem is the shop that has them is 25 miles from me and these fish are expensive in this city. If i buy them and the attacking carries in, it's going to be an issue driving back and returning them i think. I actually really like them, there sheen is so pretty.
Has anybody had experience with these tetras being aggressive?
There's so many videos , mostly Australian , for some reason, of youtube fishkeepers saying they are super peaceful fish and are shocked when someone in comments says 'hey they attacked my fish etc'.
Before giving any advice, your badges have piqued my curiosity. How come do you have the 'New Member' badge and '5 Year Member' at the same time?
Edit : Got it. You have been a member for more than 5 years but <50 messages, so hereby the badges.

A good male to female ratio for emperors is 1:2. You can keep several males and they will be more than kept busy by each other. Luckily they rarely actually fight.

Advice;
Thanks for your reply. I think he is trying to court the single female and pushing her into the plants. However, he keeps hitting the catfish and the silver tetras. Like i said, the store is so far, i'm going to have to make a decision. Thanks for the advice.

Solution

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom