Emperor tetra

JazzieGurl

So I'm a little confused and need some clarity.
I'm wanting emperor tetra and the variety I have seen are called purple emperor tetra. So have been on the look out for these, was in my lfs and asked about them.

They said they are just the normal type, they also shown me some super blue emperor tetra they had. Now those one didnt look like the other emperor tetra I had seen I.e the fins were different.
Am I looking for purple and it doesn't exist or should I keep looking and not settle for the normal type?
Thanks

MacZ

I don't know exactly what you mean.

After a quick research all emperors labeled as "purple" on the web are the normal natural colour morph, maybe with a bit of an extra purple-ish hue. Otherwise I only know of blue and black morphs. I guess the "purple" is just a trade-name for the normal morph from stores that have the others too.

Trade names are a pain in the a... sometimes.

JazzieGurl

MacZ said:
I don't know exactly what you mean.

After a quick research all emperors labeled as "purple" on the web are the normal natural colour morph, maybe with a bit of an extra purple-ish hue. Otherwise I only know of blue and black morphs. I guess the "purple" is just a trade-name for the normal morph from stores that have the others too.

Trade names are a pain in the a... sometimes.
So I done a little more research about them and looks to be different fish. Via the latin names at least.

So I found the Latin names to show you the difference in the fish I'm talking about.

Nematobrycon palmeri is the normal emperor tetra.

Inpaichthys kerri is the purple emperor tetra

Inpaichthys Kerri var is the super blue emperor tetra.

Least now i know the latin name to look out for when looking for these fish.

JazzieGurl

faydout said:
Is it possible that the lfs has the emperor tetras confused with Conchu blue tetras? I ask, because I thought I remembered seeing this mix up while I was researching the Conchu blue tetras for a tank (ended up putting lemons in).

Blue Tetra Care - Size, Life Span, Tank Mates, Breeding
See I had thought that but they do look like the fish classed as the super blue emperor tetra, latin name Inpaichthys Kerri var.

Either way I now know what latin name I'm looking out for.
Thanks

MacZ

Ah, ok, the Inpaichthys is sold by a completely different name in my country.

Latest threads

Top Bottom