Emperor Tetra Behavior

I have 3 Emporer tetra that I have had for over 2 years in a community tank with other nano fish. About 6 weeks ago the biggest Emporer started to herd the other fish into the right quarter of the tank. It would not nip or hurt the other fish they just have to go into that area he/she (not good at sexing). The other two are smaller and also have to do as they are told. He reminds me of a Kelpie dog herding sheep into a pen.

My thought is spawning but I have seen no evidence of this.

I have tried to catch him/her and move to another tank for a while but it is awake to that and it hides in the plants when I go near.

Any ideas or suggestions. The tank is 29 gal and heavily planted.

I have 3 Emporer tetra that I have had for over 2 years in a community tank with other nano fish. About 6 weeks ago the biggest Emporer started to herd the other fish into the right quarter of the tank. It would not nip or hurt the other fish they just have to go into that area he/she (not good at sexing). The other two are smaller and also have to do as they are told. He reminds me of a Kelpie dog herding sheep into a pen.

My thought is spawning but I have seen no evidence of this.

I have tried to catch him/her and move to another tank for a while but it is awake to that and it hides in the plants when I go near.

Any ideas or suggestions. The tank is 29 gal and heavily planted.
Upping the Tetra school to 6-8 could help with the behavior.

Sounds like you're dealing with a dominant male Emperor.
IMO, the best way to deal with this situation is to add three or four new Emperors to the school. Make sure you select the biggest, most aggressive Emperors in the vendors tank.

Sounds like you're dealing with a dominant male Emperor.
IMO, the best way to deal with this situation is to add three or four new Emperors to the school. Make sure you select the biggest, most aggressive Emperors in the vendor's tank.
Thanks for the tip. The LFS I am going to has them on his list. I might up the numbers of the emeralds and black neons.

Last edited:

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom