Emperor tetra and Blue Emperor photos

Here are my black emperor tetras. Ive had them almost 3 years. Blue eyes are males. Green eyes are females. 20180613_002621.jpg20171012_204216.jpg20171012_204300.jpg20170823_215044.jpg20180613_003334.jpg20180613_003701.jpg

I never knew that! Cool.

They are super cool!!
I've only seen the black ones a couple times. I have a small lfs that specializes in unique and rare fish, rather than having a high quantity of fish. That's the only place I've seen them.

They are super cool!!
I've only seen the black ones a couple times. I have a small lfs that specializes in unique and rare fish, rather than having a high quantity of fish. That's the only place I've seen them.
Aquatic arts has them Black Emperor Tetra (Nematobrycon palmeri), TANK-RAISED - Aquatic Arts

Aquatic arts has them Black Emperor Tetra (Nematobrycon palmeri), TANK-RAISED - Aquatic Arts

Correction....they HAD them. Lol But who knows how long ago. They are currently sold out and have been for a while.

haha lol

There are a few

Yes I know. You can find them a couple places online if you are up for shipping.

I have like 6 local fish stores with huge variety. And only ever saw them at any of those stores once over the last few years. You just don't see them at the stores very often.

Yes I know. You can find them a couple places online if you are up for shipping.

I have like 6 local fish stores with huge variety. And only ever saw them at any of those stores once over the last few years. You just don't see them at the stores very often.
You have six!?!? We have one freshwater place and one salty place. Other than that we only have Petco/PetSmart.

You have six!?!? We have one freshwater place and one salty place. Other than that we only have Petco/PetSmart.

Yes. I'm pretty spoiled here in the Twin Cities (Minnesota)

I mean....they aren't a 5 minute drive or anything. The furthest one is about 30 minutes tops. The closest is about 10 minutes. The rest somewhere in between.

My absolute favorite is about 15 minutes away.

I mean....they aren't a 5 minute drive or anything. The furthest one is about 30 minutes tops. The closest is about 10 minutes. The rest somewhere in between.

Fortunately my ONE is great! However it is a 45 min drive!

What are they called? I’m always looking for some good fish stores, even if they would only be visited during vacations

My favorite of the Emperor Tetras is the Red Eye or Rainbow Emperor, Nematobrycon lacortei:
Nematobrycon lacortei male1.jpg
It is also my nemesis when it comes to breeding them, as I have tried repeatedly and failed. Males are highly aggressive.

I've bred regular Emperor Tetras once, a very long time ago:
Nematobrycon palmeri.jpg
I've had some Blacks, but I never got around to trying to breed them:
Nematobrycon palmeri Black male02.JPG
Inpaichthys kerri I've bred several times. It is very easy, as it's really just another tetra that happens to have a similar color scheme to the Emperor:
Inpaichthys kerri male 01.jpg

As far as looking "purple", it seems to be a trick of the lighting. Certain angles give it that color, but often it just has a strong, overall blue sheen.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom