Emperor Bio-wheel 400 making loud noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springr#6

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello,

I just set up my 75 gallon and filled up the filter and plugged it in like it said and it sounded like a grinding noise. There wasn't anything coming out of the spray pipes either. I played around a little and if i would push it up or to the side it would quiet down some and the water would spray out of the pipe like it was suppose to but as soon as i let go, the water wouldn't spray anymore and the noise would come back. I took it off, emptied the water and took it apart and couldn't really see anything wrong. I put it back together, filled it back and and the same situation. This is my first time with this kind of filter. Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to fix it. Please help

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a much smaller one but sometimes I notice that it's not working right and I take it apart and clean the impeller, it seems to get slimy and slides out of place a little. When I put it back together it works like new. You have to take the housing apart and I use a toothbrush to clean it. It might be worth a try. They do sale new impellers online if your is bent or something.

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a note about the Emperor filters: they really, really, really, don't work well unless the water level in the tank touches the bottom of the output spillway. And, make sure it is well-primed before starting or you will get a lot of the grinding/gurgling sound from the impeller.

I wondered why mine was making such loud noises and not pumping any water until I dumped a gallon of water over it . Once I did that it was just barely trickling out of the spillway, so I started to bring the water level in the tank up and the flow rate increased quite a bit. Now it is rushing out like my other filters. This is my first time using an Emperor 400, I just got 4 of them free with two new tanks.

I've heard the impellers or magnetic sleeve can get clogged with junk, but if everything looks okay make sure the water level in the tank is right up the the bottom of the filter at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%

Top Bottom