Emperor 400s flow rate is SLOW!!!

1. va1 Initiate Member

I recently got a new set up off craigslist. A 135 reef ready tank and stank for $200. I thought it was a pretty good deal. Anyways it also came with 2 emperor 400s and when I first started them they had pretty slow flow rate. A month later it was even slower. I mean the only thing that kept the biowheels moving was the spray bar. So I gave them a good cleaning amd turned them back on and it was about what it was when I first started them. I dont know why or if there is something maybe Ive done wrong. Its my first time with the emperor 400 and if this is how they operate it will surely be the last. Perhaps i should take into account that i dont know how old they are and what care was taken of them since i got them second hand, but its still making me mad. If anybody has any ideas as to what may be the issue then let me know!!!

2. theshiftys_jm Member Member

The only thing I can suggest is to strip it down. It almost sounds like it has an impeller issue. Are they noisy? Salt, sand and gunk can grind down the magnets that drive the impeller so you might take a look at the wear on those as well. I have a couple of Penguin 350's and they are the most powerful filters I have thus far. I'm running a topfin 70 and a penguin 350 on my community tank and the topfin is wimpy in comparison. It's issue is that the magnets are slightly worn, so the impeller doesn't spin as fast as it should.

Hope this helps!

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The spray bar IS the only thing that spins the wheel on emperors. One of the major mprovements over the penguins, the water that is sprayed on the wheels is unfiltered. With penguins, the water that spins the wheel has already passed through the cartridge (if you use them) and is on it's way back into the tank.

4. ray_sj Member Member

Did you check the angle of the spray bar? You can rotate the spray bar so that the water hits higher or lower on the biowheels, and that changes how fast they spin.

Also, I think the older emperors have a flow rate control behind the intake tube. If you have one of these, you might check that also.

I have an Emperor 280, and other than it being noisy, I don't have any problems with it.

5. eiginh Well Known Member Member

Are you using new blue carbon catridges? Play with it that might also help the water flow. Try cleaning the bearings where the biowheels hang on to as well.

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If the tank is reef ready, there's no reason to even use the Emperors. Just run a sump with the tank. Even if the Emperors never work properly, it's still a great deal.