Emperor 400 vs AquaClear 70

1. Thunder Member Member

In several of my past tanks, I've used the Emperor. I loved them. Now I have a current tank with AquaClear 30 and I love it too. I especially love how the carbon is on its own (replaced monthly).

I just bought a 100 gallon complete tank and it came with two (2) Emperor 400. Now, I plan to have about half of the tank planted with EcoComplete and the rest with regular gravel with stack of rocks and open space.

I am wanting to know if I should sell these filters and buy two AquaClear 70? I love having biowheels, but some people on here believe the biowheels will agitate the surface for faster Co2 escape.

Edit...

Actually, after a search on Google, it appears that the highest is the 110. I thought the 70 was the highest, since that is as high as PetSmart sells.

2. redlessi Well Known Member Member

If you decide you want aquaclear get the aquaclear 110 its the next one up from the 70. You can have the emperor 400 as additional filtration.I have one of these on my 72 gallon and its awesome.

3. Toddnbecka Member Member

You can probably find the 110 online for Petsmart's price on the 70.

4. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

One of my LFS has the Aquaclear 110 for $79.00 and from now until January they are an additional 20% off. I bought two of them for $64.00 each. I already had one on a 75 g and love it so these two are going on my 120g once I bring it in from the garage after new years.

5. eiginh Well Known Member Member

I like the emperor 400 and the ac700, I prefer the emperor 400 b/c of the bio wheels as well the spray bar, I point them it towards the media so they'll be less water agitation. No matter which HOB filter you get, you will always have surface agitation unless you top off your tank almost every day. That's the problem with HOBs. If you like, you can sell both the emperor 400s to purchase a canister filter :).

6. erk419 Initiate Member

I've owned both! The only thing I like about the AC is its customization, however the emperor comes with trays to that you can stick in differerent media. A few years ago I had two AC's and they both started leaking about the same time. A few weeks ago one of my filters stopped working so I went up to the petstore and say that the AC's were on sale so I bought the 70 one. Took it home set it up and noticed it was quit a bit louder then the rest of my filters. I also noticed that the water in the tube wasnt a constent flow. A week later the propeller kept stopping and I had to take the motor off while running and mainly spin the propeller to get it running again. The next morning when I got up it wasnt running again so that night I tookit back anf got a emperor. I also have another emperor that Ive had for about 4 years and never have had a problem with it. When doing water changes I always fill the the top of the little lip that come out to wear if you put more in it would overflow, Ive never had to top my tanks off doing that.

7. Thunder Member Member

I do think that I'll be getting two AquaClear 110. Does it matter on their position? I'll have a portion of the tank more heavily planted, so if I put these filters on the other side away from most of the plants, would it help keep the Co2 from escaping rapidly in the heavily planted area? This tank is literally 5 feet long.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Thunder. I think you'll be very happy with the performance of the Aqua Clear (AC) 110's @ 500gph. I had to order mine from drsfostersmith.com. They have a link on the top of this page under online fish stores. I've used drsfostersmith for many years and have found them very reliable.

Two of my filters on my 265g are the AC 110's and I couldn't be happier. As far as your plants are concerned and positioning the filter I'll let someone else give you suggestions there. Seems I've read that the plants would enjoy and need the current.
    Ken

9. Thunder Member Member

That's when the power jet comes in, right? I got one included with the tank. I don't know how old or good it is. I'll try it out or get a new one.

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, many people do use power heads for more current :) I had one many years ago. I'm sure they've improved by now :) lol (been a long time)
    Ken

11. eiginh Well Known Member Member

You can position both filters at each end but make sure your water level is high enough so the overflow from the filter does not disturb the surface as much as the more disturbance to the surface the more co2 will escape.

12. Thunder Member Member

BioMax for AquaClear, can they be used inside Emperor? I have two of Emperor 400 provided with the tank, so I think I'll use them for now. The plastic box provided for media, if I take that out and put in the BioMax instead, what should I use to hold the BioMax? I see some people talk about something from crafts at Walmart, but I never really understood what they was talking about. Could someone provide a picture? Also, the blue filters with carbon inside made for Emperor, is the blue material made the same as the sponge for AquaClear? If not, which provide best surface for bacteria colonization?

Oh, just a thought. Would the media basket fit inside the Emperor? I'd like to have all 3, the bags of Carbon and BioMax and the sponge. Do I need the media basket or I can place them on top of one another?

13. ray_sj Member Member

Your Emperors should come with a gray media container that looks like this:

Emperor MEdia Container

You can put the BioMax, or any other filter media you want in these containers. I use ceramic rings in the media container, and just hang a bag of carbon in the water flow from the filter output.

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

What I use for filter floss is High Loft Batting (used for quilts) material found in the craft section of Wal Mart. (chemical free 100% poly) Works great! Yes, you can use your bio max in any filter (ceramic rings).
    Ken