Emperor 400 Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by dakota, Jun 18, 2019.

1. dakota

dakotaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What do you consider the Good and BAD on the Emperor 400 HOB? I had one years ago and as I remember not many problems. Seems to be quite a few using it for some time. Give me you feedback
    on the emperor 400 HOB and if you have one how has it worked for you and what is your tank size fresh water or salt water. Feed back greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The Marineland Emperor bio-wheels are really good filters. IMO, The 400 should work fine on 75 - 90 gal. tanks. To improve its filtration ability and to save a lot of money, throw away the filter cartridge. Stuff the two media baskets with Fluval FX series replacement sponges. No more expensive filter cartridges. The sponges last for years. Squeeze out once a month to clean.

3. OP
    OP
    dakota

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    thanks for that tip A201 that makes it much cheaper . Will that work also for the smaller 350 filter?

Thanks again Bill

4. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Experience:
    2 years
  5. Leland

LelandNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    I have the Emperor 400 on a 36 gallon as I like to overfilter. It’s a good filter, the bio wheels seem like they work well. I researched a lot and for the price ($40) there isn’t anything comparable that gives the same amount of filtration space and water flow.

I use one of the cartridges for mechanical filtration and take advantage of the rest of the space by adding fluval biomax. I also add some filter padding on the back end of the cartridge to polish the water. Seems to work for me! The only thing is that it’s a little loud at the beginning...once the fish “slime” builds up then the noise gets quieter.

6. Leland

LelandNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Also, I would recommend the Emperor over the Penguin 350 as the Emperor has a dedicated spray bar over each biowheel to ensure that it keeps turning. I’ve heard that the bio wheels on the Penguin 350 can stop turning depending on the water flow.

7. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,273
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You might want to do a little more research on bio wheel filters.

Unfortunately Bio Wheel Filters produce Nitrates.

Bio wheels run in a high oxygen environment that encourages fast aerobic nitrification, but little else. This allows for copious amounts of nitrates to be generated in a short amount of time. This type of environment does not keep a stable bacterial colony to respond to sudden changes in bio load either.

With this environment, there is also no chance for a de-nitrifying environment to establish in filters that employ bio wheels. It is noteworthy that these negative attributes are multiplied in the Emperor HOB Filter with spray bars running the bio wheels.

Use Google and search ‘do bio wheels really work’ for pages of information on why they may not be the best choice.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=do+bio+wheels+really+work

8. OP
    OP
    dakota

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thanks Cichlidude; I understand what you are saying that never dawned on me. I think I am going back to my original
    Thoughts and go with a pair of Tidal 75s on this 55g it will provide plenty of filtration.

Thanks again for the help Cichlidude appreciated

Bill

9. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,609
    Experience:
    1 year
    @dakota , Tidal 110's can be found for $62 @ Kensfish.com.

10. OP
    OP
    dakota

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well I decided to go with two Tidal 75s on my 55 gallon Tetra tank. Lighting will be the Current Satellite 48" with remote control which I did want. Thanks for all the feedback really appreciated.

Thanks again

Bill

11. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,609
    Experience:
    1 year
    I think they will serve you well.

A colleague at work has a pair of Tidal 75's on his 75g and a pair of 55's on his 65g tank.

He always has good things to say about them.