Emotional connections to fish

ayeayeron

I know that for many people, losing fish may dampen the mood but aren’t the same as would be a dog or cat.
Well for me, not only my fish but my shrimp and snails Im emotionally connected to. Even the ones without names. For example, I had a school of bleeding heart tetras and all of them died except for one. Well I decided to give my last tetra to the LFS so he could be in a school. Well I felt so guilty about giving him up that I wrote him a letter.
Am I the only one this connected to fish?

BettaFishObsessed

No you are not. I feel the exact same way. The last time my fish died I cried for weeks. I get emotionally connected to everything. I guess maybe Im weird, i feel like all life matters. It hurts my heart when anyone kills a fly, or says “its just a ____” . Everyone thinks I’m crazy and that theyre just fish but Im glad someone gets as connected to them as I do.

Upvote 0

Cyberwolf

i will not lie to you. i do. not quite as deeply as wanting to write a letter, however, grief is different for everyone. depending on what else might be happening in my life, it can be i find myself asking what new ego trick this is to take on the task of trying to provide for these creatures I know so little about and if they die BECAUSE OF ME then, is it murder? you should go back and see some of my first posts about my aquarium conditions when I thought i was going to lose all my fish. i was freaking out. this forum helped me to calm down and keep trying to do the best I could do. tonite, i am scrambling to make up for a couple major mistakes i made so i don't kill my two beautiful little hillstream loaches i just tossed into what probably amounts to boiling water for them. i am hoping the other conditions will make up for the temp until i can try to catch them tomorrow. if i can even find them in my planted heavily decorated 30 gal tall tank. they are so delicate i don't want to hurt them. i was able to locate them in the tank and they looked like they were already busily sucking away on the surfaces they were on. i have my fingers crossed. you can only do what you can do. if your heart is in the right place...good luck.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

i will not lie to you. i do. not quite as deeply as wanting to write a letter, however, grief is different for everyone. depending on what else might be happening in my life, it can be i find myself asking what new ego trick this is to take on the task of trying to provide for these creatures I know so little about and if they die BECAUSE OF ME then, is it murder? you should go back and see some of my first posts about my aquarium conditions when I thought i was going to lose all my fish. i was freaking out. this forum helped me to calm down and keep trying to do the best I could do. tonite, i am scrambling to make up for a couple major mistakes i made so i don't kill my two beautiful little hillstream loaches i just tossed into what probably amounts to boiling water for them. i am hoping the other conditions will make up for the temp until i can try to catch them tomorrow. if i can even find them in my planted heavily decorated 30 gal tall tank. they are so delicate i don't want to hurt them. i was able to locate them in the tank and they looked like they were already busily sucking away on the surfaces they were on. i have my fingers crossed. you can only do what you can do. if your heart is in the right place...good luck.

I hope your loaches end up being okay! Also, don’t feel guilty or bad. If you do something wrong, but didn’t know you were doing something wrong, then did YOU really do something wrong? Something was done wrong, but if you didnt know can it really be YOUR fault? I am sure your little loaches will be okay!

Upvote 0

Cyberwolf

I hope your loaches end up being okay! Also, don’t feel guilty or bad. If you do something wrong, but didn’t know you were doing something wrong, then did YOU really do something wrong? Something was done wrong, but if you didnt know can it really be YOUR fault? I am sure your little loaches will be okay!
thank you!!! you are brilliant.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

I have emotional attachment to some fish. But im a livebearer nerd. I have so many fish that I can only tell the select few out of the crowd. Between that and the culls, you kinda get a thick skin about it. That being said I respect all living animals and im never happy about fish deaths.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

I doubt you’re boiling your loaches. Hill stream loach breeding has been done in 86 degrees! Im sure they’re just fine. Don’t worry!

Upvote 0

fish 321

I definitely don't have and emotional conection to fish like I would to a dog. Dogs actually care about and you care about them which makes the connection stronger. Fish don't really care about their owners so for me its just kind of a bummer not really emotional, as Its hard to get fish where I live.

Upvote 0

Dippiedee

One of my GBRs died the other day completely out of the blue, no illness no injury. I adored that fish so it was pretty devastating. It was definitely comparable to losing my boxer to cancer a few years ago. I dread the day Prince my betta dies, hopefully it wont be for years...

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

thank you!!! you are brilliant.

I definitely don't have and emotional conection to fish like I would to a dog. Dogs actually care about and you care about them which makes the connection stronger. Fish don't really care about their owners so for me its just kind of a bummer not really emotional, as Its hard to get fish where I live.

What kind fish do you keep? Maybe I’m just personifying them too much, but I definitely feel like my cories and betta care about me. I mean, I don’t really have any evidence for it, I just kind of know it. And I mean, I guess they swim up to the side of the tank to meet me, but they could just want food. But then again, how could anyone prove that’s not just what a dog wants? I just kind of know that my pets care about me I guess. At this point I’m just rambling, haha

One of my GBRs died the other day completely out of the blue, no illness no injury. I adored that fish so it was pretty devastating. It was definitely comparable to losing my boxer to cancer a few years ago. I dread the day Prince my betta dies, hopefully it wont be for years...

Im very sorry, I bet that your GBR lived a happy life. I hope that your betta prince lives for many more years.

Upvote 0

QCAquaholic

When my first fish, a betta, died I got a little choked up. He was a gift from some students. What made it worse was I watched him die right in front of me.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

When my first fish, a betta, died I got a little choked up. He was a gift from some students. What made it worse was I watched him die right in front of me.

I am very sorry, it’s not easy to loose a pet. It must have been even worse to have to watch him die. I hope you are doing better now.

Upvote 0

Bettybrown922

I have a great love for my shrimp & snails & when I lost my last adult shrimp yesterday, it broke my heart. I'm particularly attached to my Mystery Snail, Morty. When she goes, I'm definitely going to cry.
These creatures are special & it's a special bond to take care of something that's totally dependent upon your love & care.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

I have a great love for my shrimp & snails & when I lost my last adult shrimp yesterday, it broke my heart. I'm particularly attached to my Mystery Snail, Morty. When she goes, I'm definitely going to cry.
These creatures are special & it's a special bond to take care of something that's totally dependent upon your love & care.

I agree with you, it really is a special bond .

Upvote 0

Cyberwolf

What kind fish do you keep? Maybe I’m just personifying them too much, but I definitely feel like my cories and betta care about me. I mean, I don’t really have any evidence for it, I just kind of know it. And I mean, I guess they swim up to the side of the tank to meet me, but they could just want food. But then again, how could anyone prove that’s not just what a dog wants? I just kind of know that my pets care about me I guess. At this point I’m just rambling, haha

Im very sorry, I bet that your GBR lived a happy life. I hope that your betta prince lives for many more years.
i am not sure where to jump in here, this is more or less for all of us, but if i did this wrong, sorry about that. all my life i have felt a zing with animals. wolves, are my spirit animal. in many ways these tiny little guys/gals are our little buddies for the brief time we have them. [truly, is it ever long enough? no.] milksop as it may be, they are like tiny cats and dogs for some of us. for some this is all we can take care of in our worlds, for others we choose to take them on (quote daughter: you take on too much. end quote) we watch them for hours, we worry over them, we do feel attached to them. i DO believe them to US. without a doubt. it's not just about food. you have oscars that will ring bells when they're hungry. why? because they know the two legged creature is trained to come feed them. that is not just impulse/instinct. i have never - and i'll try not to ramble on cuz DO I HAVE THOUGHTS and btw none of you, which ever one said it was rambling. that's enough. i do love them. i could not believe how i felt after only 24 hours with Jerry, my betta. i love my little schooling neon tetras The Survivors. My heart beats faster for my two dwarf frogs and the two loaches seem to be doing okay. well, i only found one so far. i did turn down the temp a bit. it's at 78 now and i turned it a bit more. one question - how do you clean the tank with them in it??? they're almost invisible. no. don't tell me. answer: very carefully. have a good day all. i am getting a bit attached to this group. hmmmm.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Thank you all for your replies.... it’s glad to know I’m not alone. Hopefully the tetra I gave up is doing well with his friends. Im worried about my new betta... he is only hiding and won’t come up to eat :/
Even though fish may only like you for your food, it is heartwarming to see how excited they get when you come over to the tank. My angelfish have their own dance they do every day when it’s feeding time. They really are like little puppies to me.

Upvote 0

Cyberwolf

I SINCERELY WANT SOME RANCHU GOLDFISH. yes they are dirty little buggers. yes, they are goldfish. i don't care. they are so darn cute. i have to have at least 3. today i go get my dream fish - how many want to bet it's not in stock? not that i'm negative...it's called being prepared so you don't break down crying in the pet store. you know how it is though. i need it to be a baby and i need it to be a Tiger/Velvet Oscar. he will go in the 55 gallon that is finally cycled, until I can get the 125 i dream of. (don't tell my daughter.) on that subject, i thought i was being so slick, but last nite she texted me "where are you sneaking off to tomorrow to wheel and deal?" i said "HOW DARE YOU?! I DON'T SNEAK. i glide." WAIT: [sound of screeching brakes] what do you think? should i buy from someone on here, or should I go Pet Store? one thing to consider: of the last 13 neon Tetras I purchased from Animart, i have 4 left (from 2 batches). another question for those of you that do purchase from Pet Stores: when you see the clerk trying to net the fish you selected, YOUR FISH, like a gorilla with a handicap, do you say anything? hence one reason - i believe - i only have 1 alive from that batch of 6. at least this time i did get some store credit back.

No you are not. I feel the exact same way. The last time my fish died I cried for weeks. I get emotionally connected to everything. I guess maybe Im weird, i feel like all life matters. It hurts my heart when anyone kills a fly, or says “its just a ____” . Everyone thinks I’m crazy and that theyre just fish but Im glad someone gets as connected to them as I do.
i feel you. i am so sorry for that pain you feel. the world might not be made for sensitive people but they need us. you are in good company here i think. listen to me! LOL. i've only been on here for a little less than a month. i am one who has been considered weird her whole life because of how i am with animals, any and all. i even catch-n-release spiders in my house.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

i feel you. i am so sorry for that pain you feel. the world might not be made for sensitive people but they need us. you are in good company here i think. listen to me! LOL. i've only been on here for a little less than a month. i am one who has been considered weird her whole life because of how i am with animals, any and all. i even catch-n-release spiders in my house.

I do too! My family tells me to grow up, but I strongly believe all life is precious, no matter how small or “insignificant” to some people.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

I also like to bury my fish instead of flushing them. It feels much more respectful.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

I also like to bury my fish instead of flushing them. It feels much more respectful.

i prefer to do that too, it does feel much more respectful. I mean, if a dog could fit down the toiler would people flush it when it’s dead? Probably not. I bury my dead fish also.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

Princess Peaches died a few weeks ago. She never stopped swimming or eating. I tried 3 different meds for her, no luck. The day before she passed, she just sat on bottom of tank. I kind of figured she was ready & just tired.

She was my 3rd betta and first female I picked out. Red Crown tail but very engaged & active. She was never overly pushy and settled into a nice role in my Harem tank.

I failed her because I did not realize the social structure changed after the male betta died or that she was hiding. Pecking order is very real & hard to discern with fish. I thought she was chilling with the plants.

We devote hours to our tanks and trying to establish harmony. Never feel bad for what you failed to do. In my case, I just fail to see the signs. A hard lesson to learn and not the last mistake I'll make in life.

Do the best you can with the info you have. I love my fish. It may be different than dogs or people, but I do love them. We form bonds with many things, it's in our very nature & how we relate. Fish care has made me a better person. It's not for everyone but the good outweighs the bad for me now.

I did that twice yesterday, lol.

I know that for many people, losing fish may dampen the mood but aren’t the same as would be a dog or cat.
Well for me, not only my fish but my shrimp and snails Im emotionally connected to. Even the ones without names. For example, I had a school of bleeding heart tetras and all of them died except for one. Well I decided to give my last tetra to the LFS so he could be in a school. Well I felt so guilty about giving him up that I wrote him a letter.
Just because it's a fish, it doesn't make your grief any less real.

I cried for a day and half when my Nanday conure died. 'Just a bird...' who was in my life for 21 years

it's not just about the fish themselves, but the bonds we create with them.

Fish competently depend upon us as care givers, so when they die, we feel like we failed - even if we didn't.

everything that lives, dies. easy to say, but we have to still cope with the loss, the hole left behind.

it's okay to greive and the letter was about you saying good bye with love. That's a good thing & part of healing.

Upvote 0

lucky123

I’m glad I’m not the only one who considers fish family! I love my betta Lucky so much! I’ve had him for 4 years! I’ve experienced so much with him! I thought he would die so many times but he’s a fighter and still living! My husband thinks I’m so crazy that I cry when my fish or snail is sick. I can’t even imagine the sadness of losing the betta and snail I have!

Upvote 0

AquaticQueen

I'm definitely emotionally attached to my fish. I absolutely rue the day my betta Rex dies. I have had him 9 months and I have gotten very attached to him. Maybe I'm weird but when I think about something possibly happening to him, I want to cry.

Upvote 0

smee82

I dont get attached to fish but it doesnt mean i dont feel responsible for them or try to take the best care of them that i can.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

I'm definitely emotionally attached to my fish. I absolutely rue the day my betta Rex dies. I have had him 9 months and I have gotten very attached to him. Maybe I'm weird but when I think about something possibly happening to him, I want to cry.

I am the same way with my fish, you are not weird. Although sometimes to the level at which im like this makes me think theres something wrong with me, ill say a prayer when i wash my hands for the bacteria dying for hecks sake haha. :\ I think every life even microscopic ones matter. Although I don’t get too emotional because some lives have to go for others to come, but I still feel guilty enough to say a prayer I guess haha. Jeez I feel bad about germs dying, what will I do when my cat dies omg

I’m glad I’m not the only one who considers fish family! I love my betta Lucky so much! I’ve had him for 4 years! I’ve experienced so much with him! I thought he would die so many times but he’s a fighter and still living! My husband thinks I’m so crazy that I cry when my fish or snail is sick. I can’t even imagine the sadness of losing the betta and snail I have!

i hope your fish and snail live for many years to come!

Just because it's a fish, it doesn't make your grief any less real.

I cried for a day and half when my Nanday conure died. 'Just a bird...' who was in my life for 21 years

it's not just about the fish themselves, but the bonds we create with them.

Fish competently depend upon us as care givers, so when they die, we feel like we failed - even if we didn't.

everything that lives, dies. easy to say, but we have to still cope with the loss, the hole left behind.

it's okay to greive and the letter was about you saying good bye with love. That's a good thing & part of healing.

I couldn’t agree with you more!

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I dont get attached to fish but it doesnt mean i dont feel responsible for them or try to take the best care of them that i can.

Same here. I was raised in the country, and most of our meat was from animals we raised and butchered ourselves, so getting emotionally attached to them didn't happen.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

I am the same way with my fish, you are not weird. Although sometimes to the level at which im like this makes me think theres something wrong with me, ill say a prayer when i wash my hands for the bacteria dying for hecks sake haha. :\ I think every life even microscopic ones matter. Although I don’t get too emotional because some lives have to go for others to come, but I still feel guilty enough to say a prayer I guess haha. Jeez I feel bad about germs dying, what will I do when my cat dies omg
I thought I was the only one! I dont pray for the bacteria, but I always think about the fact that I’m killing millions....

Upvote 0

smee82

Same here. I was raised in the country, and most of our meat was from animals we raised and butchered ourselves, so getting emotionally attached to them didn't happen.

Same here. Rule number one growing up was don't name the animals.
My aunt would raise a few cattle for beef but she got stuck with a couple after her grandkids named them so she stopped. Her place is more like a petting zoo nowdays.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

I don’t think I could ever run a farm. I just love animals too much. Today I gave a bee at the restaurant some of my Coke to drink

Upvote 0

GlennO

I don’t think I could ever run a farm. I just love animals too much. Today I gave a bee at the restaurant some of my Coke to drink

It's now wired up on caffeine and will keep the other bees awake all night with its partying.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

It's now wired up on caffeine and will keep the other bees awake all night with its partying.
lol. erinw347 I don't think it weird you get attached. Fish are pets. People who say that fish "arent real pets" are actual idiots. They clearly don't understand the care that has to go into taking care of fish. Depending on your situation (how many fish u have) it could be even more work than a dog. Once I start breeding fish I'll be able to best all the kids who are like "I have 17 pets, ha" I'll just be like "Cool well I got 50"

Upvote 0

fish 321

I used to keep a bunch of different freshwater fish but they got kind of boring so I gave them back to my local pet store and started a saltwater tank with clownfish. I mean dogs show emotion for their owners like whenever I come home my dog freaks out in excitement. Also whenever someone from my family leaves for an extended amount of time my dog will go and sit on their bed.

Upvote 0

BEAM1080

I hear ya. For me the longer I have a fish the more attached I get. I had to switch tanks last month. Fish were out growing the 30g. So I went to a 70g. I felt so bad netting them. Even though it was for the best. I felt like I lost their trust. I cried...my girlfriend made fun of me. I couldn't help it. They are my buddies and they trusted me. Good thing is they don't hold a grudge too long. So we made amends and back to basics. Lol. But yes, even my shrimp each have their own personality. I have 112 favorite pets in 9 tanks. And when one dies unexpectedly Im upset. They count on me to not screw up their home. I dont like letting them down....

Upvote 0

tomiyama

When our Oscar Googles died my family had a funeral for him he was buried in our backyard in a Christmas card box. My younger daughter was a teenager at the time and she was bawling. She is in uni now and she still misses him he was the first family pet.
When my kids were in elementary school and came home and rushed to the tank to kiss it while Googles was excited to see them only because he was begging for food haha I knew it was time to get a dog and our dog is now 14.

Upvote 0

Fae

I always cry when my fish die. I've gotten a lot more realistic about death though in the past few years. Everything has to die so life can continue to live. It doesn't make it any less sad though.

I don't like killing fish when I catch them either (when fishing for usually salmon), but I do it then because I understand that they're dying so I can live. I don't think it's right that people eat animals they wouldn't feel comfortable killing themselves. I try to do it as quickly and with the least amount of pain as I can.

The only time I've had to kill one of my own fish, it was a small platy, and clove oil was NOT working. I ended up just chopping it's head off with a kitchen knife. I'll probably do it the same way if I ever get put into that position again. Frick it was terrible though. I felt like a monster. Kind of hypocritical of me? It's different when they're living under your care and have no choice but to trust you and you know it.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I've seen a couple people say their fish trusted them. I'm by no means judging people who get attached to their fish, but I disagree with assigning complex human emotions to them.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Dito. For any connection things have to go unusually. A fish that survives an injury and two infections of some kind in a row gets my recognition but no name. Others are just... there.

Upvote 0

lucky123

I always cry when my fish die. I've gotten a lot more realistic about death though in the past few years. Everything has to die so life can continue to live. It doesn't make it any less sad though.

I don't like killing fish when I catch them either (when fishing for usually salmon), but I do it then because I understand that they're dying so I can live. I don't think it's right that people eat animals they wouldn't feel comfortable killing themselves. I try to do it as quickly and with the least amount of pain as I can.

The only time I've had to kill one of my own fish, it was a small platy, and clove oil was NOT working. I ended up just chopping it's head off with a kitchen knife. I'll probably do it the same way if I ever get put into that position again. Frick it was terrible though. I felt like a monster. Kind of hypocritical of me? It's different when they're living under your care and have no choice but to trust you and you know it.
Oh no! I’m sorry about your platy! I agree about eating animals! I’m a vegetarian and it pains me to cut meat for my dogs.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Im sorry you had to go through that with your platy. Im sure it was grateful that you could make it quick and painless though

Upvote 0

Fae

I've seen a couple people say their fish trusted them. I'm by no means judging people who get attached to their fish, but I disagree with assigning complex human emotions to them.

I agree that fish likely don't have complex emotions, however humans aren't the only ones who have complex emotional lives, and trust certainly isn't complex. Trust is arguably one of the most basic emotions- is this safe or is this dangerous?

For example, my betta flower used to trust me implicitly. But when he got sick, I had to regularly catch him for baths and worse, use a paintbrush to brush hydrogen peroxide onto his rotting fins. I'm imagining it likely really hurt, but was necessary to keep it from spreading. It took a while for him to trust me again after that. He would hide in the corner of his tank. Now that I've fed him lots of treats with no pain, he's hiding less. I'm not sure what that would be if not trust.

Upvote 0

ForceTen

I agree that fish likely don't have complex emotions, however humans aren't the only ones who have complex emotional lives, and trust certainly isn't complex. Trust is arguably one of the most basic emotions- is this safe or is this dangerous?

For example, my betta flower used to trust me implicitly. But when he got sick, I had to regularly catch him for baths and worse, use a paintbrush to brush hydrogen peroxide onto his rotting fins. I'm imagining it likely really hurt, but was necessary to keep it from spreading. It took a while for him to trust me again after that. He would hide in the corner of his tank. Now that I've fed him lots of treats with no pain, he's hiding less. I'm not sure what that would be if not trust.

You caught and treated a fish with medication? Now that is a determined fish keeper.

Upvote 0

Fae

Im sorry you had to go through that with your platy. Im sure it was grateful that you could make it quick and painless though
Thank you, I'm glad my platy is in a better place now at least and that I could help it. Suffering is the worst.
Oh no! I’m sorry about your platy! I agree about eating animals! I’m a vegetarian and it pains me to cut meat for my dogs.

I know what you mean, I'm a vegetarian besides eating fish and I have been for over 10 years! I guess I have a realistic kind of view point, when I had a dog I would mostly feed it meat and bones because I knew that was the healthiest diet for it. But it still makes me sad to think of the death that happens to provide meals for others. That's just the way life is though unfortunately. If I felt comfortable butchering animals, I would eat them too. But I don't, so I dont. Other people can make their own choices, but I think if you lack the capability emotionally or physically to kill your food, you probably don't need it to survive

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Thank you, I'm glad my platy is in a better place now at least and that I could help it. Suffering is the worst.

I know what you mean, I'm a vegetarian besides eating fish and I have been for over 10 years! I guess I have a realistic kind of view point, when I had a dog I would mostly feed it meat and bones because I knew that was the healthiest diet for it. But it still makes me sad to think of the death that happens to provide meals for others. That's just the way life is though unfortunately. If I felt comfortable butchering animals, I would eat them too. But I don't, so I dont. Other people can make their own choices, but I think if you lack the capability emotionally or physically to kill your food, you probably don't need it to survive
I totally agree. I cannot be vegetarian due to medical reasons, but I was at one point in my life. Animals are just too precious, and although I will eat meat, I could never kill animals for food.

Upvote 0

Fae

You caught and treated a fish with medication? Now that is a determined fish keeper.
What else could I do? I love Flower so much, to watch him die knowing I could have intervened goes against everything I stand for. He was born into a life where he has very limited freedoms, he has no choice but to live where put him and is subjected to my whims. It would be cruel and unethical of me to not try to treat him when my mistakes make him sick.
Plus, bettas aren't exactly hard to catch

Upvote 0

ForceTen

What else could I do? I love Flower so much, to watch him die knowing I could have intervened goes against everything I stand for. He was born into a life where he has very limited freedoms, he has no choice but to live where put him and is subjected to my whims. It would be cruel and unethical of me to not try to treat him when my mistakes make him sick.
Plus, bettas aren't exactly hard to catch

Please I meant no disrespect. I have just never heard of anyone removing a fish to medicate it. I was surprised to hear it.
But if you love something, you do everything in your power to help them!
Is this a common practice?

Upvote 0

Fae

I totally agree. I cannot be vegetarian due to medical reasons, but I was at one point in my life. Animals are just too precious, and although I will eat meat, I could never kill animals for food.
I understand, a big part of the reason I eat fish is because I was too unhealthy when I didn't. I've tried to be vegan as well and it's just not possible for me. Ethically I'd love to be able to abstain from animal products but realistically I have a lot of northern European heritage and my body craves dairy and meat as a survival mechanism, avoiding meat is the best I can do. I'd never blame anyone for taking care of their health first as this is a difficult world we humans have made for ourselves and not one we personally had a say in

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Please I meant no disrespect. I have just never heard of anyone removing a fish to medicate it. I was surprised to hear it.
Removing a fish for epsom salt baths is. That’s the only thing I’ve ever removed a fish for though.

Upvote 0

Fae

Oh no worries, I didn't think you did. That's surprising, fishlore is where I got a lot of info about medicating my fish. I'd say it's maybe not super common, but that the more serious fish keepers who keep showpiece fish (or at least, ones that don't keep live bearers) definitely tend to be more willing to drop money on medication.
I live in Canada, so I don't actually have access to most medication easily. I luckily found a website I could order from and they were nice enough to just put "aquarium water conditioners" as the package contents, but I definitely had to be a committed fish keeper as shipping cost as much as the medication!

No lie though, I love everything as much as my fish and will help anything I see hurting. I saved a smolt fish I accidentally caught and almost killed once by holding him in the current to help him breathe. It was heartwarming watching him wakeup and swim away. I guess most people would just toss him back in and let him die though

Upvote 0

WrenFeenix

Many humans keep animals for companionship, so why not fish? They don’t have the same emotional capacity as most other pets humans keep, but they definitely form an attachment with their caregivers. My fish seem to get very depressed when I leave for several days. They get so depressed that they don’t eat for the first day or two when I return, despite not getting fed while I’m gone. I like to think I mean something to them.

Humans can and will personify anything, hence why someone can have a meaningful conversation with a rock.

Upvote 0

kanzekatores

I get emotionally connected too. Which was hard on me when starting out in the hobby, and I lost so much stuff. I know how it feels to come home to your tank with a fish not moving on the bottom.
I think when my dog dies (no time soon) it will be much harder on me, though, because they have so much stronger of an emotional connection with you and you can feel like it goes both ways. Plus they're kind of there for everything, and can wag their tail and hang out with you, instead of being restricted to a foot or two long box of water.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Poll
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
BVUBeavers
  • Question
Replies
Views