Emmersed Grown Frogbit

1. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

I bought what I was thinking was immersed grown frogbit, which looks alot different from Emersed grown frogbit.

Any way, I got my order in total piece of .

Wondering if any one can give me tips on how to make it survive?

The one in the center looks like it was rotten,but had what appears to be roots on top. So I cut it at the rotten part and planted it with the roots.
    The other super tiny really deformed leave, I cut off hoping the extension will sprout.

Paid $6 plus $13 shipping for this piece of .
    Don't purchase from the The Plant Guy in Winnipeg Canada.
    Twice I have and both times his plants are horrible.

Need HELP with this plant. He told me it was grown Emersed, not Immersed.

Attached Files:

2. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

Bump

3. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Considering that frogbit is a floating plant, I don't see how you could have different forms. What's the species name? It looks more along the lines of 'floating heart' aka limnobium spongia or one of its cousins. http://idtools.org/id/aquariumplant...ants/Media/Images/limnobium-spongia-lge-K.jpg

This is also called frogbit, but the commonly kept 'frogbit' in aquaria is amazon frogbit aka limnobium laevigatum.

4. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

On the website that I got it from states this.
    [h=1]Frogbit (Limnobium spongia)[/h]

5. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Okay looks accurate to me. Limnobium spongia is usually better suited for pond settings since it has a fairly large root, stem, and leaf structure. The link I listed has a good diagram of how this plant sits in the water. Its a floater.

6. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

That looks exactly like my plant.

7. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

The frogbit I am used to seeing look almost like Duckweed

8. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

9. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

The kind you are familiar with is probably amazon frogbit. it's much smaller and compact. I have seen the kind you have rooted in streams and ponds, and I have also seen it floating.

10. Ziabis Well Known Member Member

Well it seems I already got a new leaf. I don't recall seeing it. the 3rd one in the pic I cut off.