EmmaH's first saltwater tank - Page 2

DocRick

Wow... already got fish in there... I'm letting mine cycle another 4 weeks to get the parameters for the clown/anemone combo. Gonna keep them together from LFS.

EmmaH

I'm not getting an anemone for at least another 3 months. Everywhere I've gone says to wait until your tank is at least 4 months old, and pretty well established. And the LFS doesn't have ocellarus clown/anemone pairs. They had some bigger maroon clowns hosting that was it. I don't really mind getting a nem later. My parameters have been good. Nitrate is always less than 5. Doing weekly water changes.

EmmaH

First corals, frogspawn and a torch!

I wasn't sure I wanted to dive into LPS right away, but I didn't like the selection of softies they had. On the brightside they opened up right away and seem very very happy. I will be monitoring parameters to see if I need to start dosing for them.

TikiBird

Beautiful!
First corals, frogspawn and a torch!

I wasn't sure I wanted to dive into LPS right away, but I didn't like the selection of softies they had. On the brightside they opened up right away and seem very very happy. I will be monitoring parameters to see if I need to start dosing for them.

esdwa

If I may throw a suggestion for you to try adjusting white balance in your camera. All digital cameras including those in smartphones have it, usually the default setting is AWB (automatic white balance) when you click on this it should allow to change to fluorescent (if you have tube). Try different settings if you have LED lightning, one of them should remove this blue tone and bring other colors of your - I imagine - beautiful tank.

EmmaH

Yeah I've got LEDs. Ive figured out if I turn my white lights up more the pictures turn out a better color on camera. I have them very blue currently because I'm trying to acclimate my corals to my lights. They don't seem to like white light very much right now. Probably because they were under a different type at the store.

Also! A lot of my coralline algae is dying off. My beautiful purple rocks are starting to turn white. It's a real shame. I've read this could be because of different light as well, as long as ur parameters are ok. So I'm hoping it'll rebound soon.

esdwa

I spoke with local reef tank guru (40yrs of experience in business of SW) and he said to me with T5's you knew what to expect while with modern LED fixtures, you better buy lamp that is proven by someone else on the same type of tank. One example he showed me is LED fixture for beautiful reef tank made by Aquatic Life. These runs around a grand but the results are spectacular. I am in no position to suggest buying one, I just know how selective LED based lights can be as I do LED applications for living, just different type. And the common case is anything for aquarium in price range between $50 and $200 has limitations, some Saltwater setups won't tolerate. Either Kelvin temp, spectrum or lifetime of lamp may be insufficient. LED fixtures gets cheaper to make of course every week. I am sure professional level fixtures price will drop in time allowing hobbyist to utilize quality and efficiency of LED lightning. Until then, it is wise to validate and test different light if something like EmmaH described happens. Good luck.

EmmaH

Yeah one of the guys at my LFS runs the same lights I have on his softy/LPS nano tank. He says they'll be fine they just take some time to adjust. My frog spawn and torch are always open and happy under the blue, but if it's pure white they shrink a bit. I thinks it's all a balancing act of finding the perfect combo.

Here's a pic of them under white light. Please excuse my ugly algae break out.

TikiBird

Very pretty!!

esdwa

Wooow!

EmmaH

New friend! Sailfin black blenny!

I can't catch him swimming, and he kind of blends in with the rock. He's so happy to be out of the bare bottom QT!

TikiBird

Aw!! Congrats!

EmmaH

Remember that ugly algae outbreak I was having? Well Bleonard, the Blenny, is having the best time with it.

Those are his little mouth marks! Kinda cute

TikiBird

Adorable! And efficient!

EmmaH

Adorable! And efficient!
Yep! I'm hoping he'll keep going! He's officially my favorite fish right now.

jessakitten

we got a scooter blenny. its fascinating watching him. and he buries himself at night, and turns a white color while sleeping lol. when he comes out in the morning, hes all white, but quickly returns to normal colors. so cool

EmmaH

we got a scooter blenny. its fascinating watching him. and he buries himself at night, and turns a white color while sleeping lol. when he comes out in the morning, hes all white, but quickly returns to normal colors. so cool
Wow that's interesting!

EmmaH

Sad news today. Bleonard the Blenny died today. Somehow he got trapped underneath one of my rocks during the night. He freed himself but he was all scraped up, and missing a fin. He was my favorite fish ATM, I'm going to miss him...

TikiBird

Sad news today. Bleonard the Blenny died today. Somehow he got trapped underneath one of my rocks during the night. He freed himself but he was all scraped up, and missing a fin. He was my favorite fish ATM, I'm going to miss him...

Oh no! I'm so sorry, EmmaH! That's terrible.

jessakitten

oh no

DocRick

That's terrible news.

EmmaH

Thanks everyone for the sympathy. I don't really know how he did it either which makes me worry another fish may get stuck.

DocRick

Are your rock bottoms flat? Or really jagged? Maybe you can place all your flatter edges on bottom an leave the countoured ones on top as caves?

You must be registered to see images

My blenny's hideout

My goby's hangout...

esdwa

My friend turtle disappeared one day. She thought turtle managed to escape house.

After 3 months, they found him dried wedged between the back of the furniture piece and the wall.

Are you sure your cave openings are safe? Last picture shows some pointy rock on the right.

DocRick

My friend turtle disappeared one day. She thought turtle managed to escape house.

After 3 months, they found him dried wedged between the back of the furniture piece and the wall.

Are you sure your cave openings are safe? Last picture shows some pointy rock on the right.
Yeah its actually round, but it looks pointy. Sad news though, my blenny died too, overnight. Found him out in the open being dined on by the hermits

EmmaH

Yeah its actually round, but it looks pointy. Sad news though, my blenny died too, overnight. Found him out in the open being dined on by the hermits
I'm sorry

DocRick

I wonder if my goby stressed him? Both introduced the same day in tank. Both postured but took to opposite ends. I work midshift, so I missed all the afternoon/evening action. The goby is a roamer though... swimming all over the tank, basically claiming it for him/herself. Maybe that could of been the cause for my blenny dying suddenly. Sucks. Going to LFS now, no new additions though. EmmaH, Have you started dosing your tank yet for your corrals?

EmmaH

I wonder if my goby stressed him? Both introduced the same day in tank. Both postured but took to opposite ends. I work midshift, so I missed all the afternoon/evening action. The goby is a roamer though... swimming all over the tank, basically claiming it for him/herself. Maybe that could of been the cause for my blenny dying suddenly. Sucks. Going to LFS now, no new additions though. EmmaH, Have you started dosing your tank yet for your corrals?
I haven't begun dosing yet. I have kalkwasser, but my levels haven't really dropped at all. I'm not sure if it's because I only have 3 lps corals, or if they just haven't sucked enough calcium up because they haven't been there long.

DocRick

I bought an auto set-up to dose. I know its a bit early. But its three components and doing only 20mls a day for a week. Then I'm adding my first corals in two weeks. How are the rest of your fish doing?

EmmaH

The other fish seem fine so far, it's just the clowns now. I really want to add more to my clean up crew. I only have a nessarius snail, and he's under the sand all day except for feeding time.

DocRick

I have a tiger watchman goby. He cleans the sand very well. I have 5 snails and 4 little hermits. I scrubbed off all the algae from the front and back glass but left the sides for them. Plus, I bought the reactor and added phosban to control the phosphorus levels. Do you have issues with micro bubbles? I'm told itll eventually subside as the skimmer gets fully broken-in.

jessakitten

I have a diamond goby in one of my tanks, it does a great job.

he also seems to think I suck at scaping...hes been moving and rearranging ALL my sand lol

DocRick

I have a diamond goby in one of my tanks, it does a great job.

he also seems to think I suck at scaping...hes been moving and rearranging ALL my sand lol
Haha, yeah... mine is doing the same, he has two spots he swims to and dumps it there. I moved it around since it was begining to cover a rock, and he looks at me and goes right back to building it up. Such crazy personalities.

jessakitten

"hey ma! you are awful at decorating, let me do it for ya!" that's what I imagine him saying every time I move the sand back and catch him moving it again lol

EmmaH

I really like diamond Gobies, I may have to add one. I really loved my blenny though. At the same time I hate replacing fish with the same exact type. Maybe I'll get a lawnmower

DocRick

Looks like we are using your thread to talk about our tanks. Lol. My clowns are like cats. They follow me whenever I'm near it. Heres a vid of them riding the waves from the wave maker. I highly recommend it: Maxspect Gyre XF230

DocRick

Any of you two gotten new additions yet?

EmmaH

Sorry I've been away from the thread so long! I got married and it stole all my time!! I have not gotten any new additions, but everything has been stable and happy! What about you DocRick

jessakitten

yay! I got married oct 8

this is fred (the anemone) george and ginger the clownfish and the damsel. The goby isn't in the pic- he was off redecorating

DocRick

Hello ladies. Congrats to both of you. EmmaH, I do have new additions. I have a few pic to post in a bit. jessakitten what did you name the damsel? And your ever landscaping goby?

I have four clowns now... from top to bottom: Lady BlueN the goby; Mr. Frosty, a frosted clown; Mr. T, a saddleback clown; Nemo and Coral (nemo's mom).
On Monday I am picking up a Da VincI clown... Mr. Leo. No corals yet, I can't keep my Ph at 8.2, keeps drolling to 8.0 despite water changes (weekly). But I'm told not to worry, my alkalinity is a bit high, but it'll stabilize with another water change. Salinity is 1.023, so the next water change should bring it up a bit to 1.024 then eventually to 1.026. Other than that, everyone in the tank is having a blast. Now I get to watch all four clowns ridding the waves.

jessakitten

my daughter is pushing for christof and elsa from the movie frozen, but I really don't like that lol.

I haven't decided yet- the damsel may go to the big tank in my bedroom once its cycled.

DocRick

Haha. Yeah. Mr. Frosty could have easily been Olaf. But having Nemo and Coral... no more Disney themed tank.

EmmaH

I got a gorgeous purple, and orange acan frag. The most expensive thing in my tank so far, and it's tiny! I'll post some pics when I get off work

EmmaH

Found a weird little snail thing in my tank! I have no idea where it came from. I have a single nessarius snail in there atm. This doesn't look like one. It look almost like a slug. Any idea what this is?

aaron0g

Check out
and see if it looks similar, great website page to bookmark

DocRick

Check out
and see if it looks similar, great website page to bookmark
Thank you. Was able to find a few critters that appeared in my fudge.

JimTheFishGuy

You shouldn't mix different clown species. They get territorial and fight with each other.

biller

That is a stomella snail. Might have misspelled that though. They are great, and will breed quick but stop when there is not enough food.

EmmaH

That is a stomella snail. Might have misspelled that though. They are great, and will breed quick but stop when there is not enough food.
Thank you so much! What do they eat? Algae?

EmmaH

You shouldn't mix different clown species. They get territorial and fight with each other.
I havent? I only have a pair of ocellarus.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ash1176
Replies
Views
DocRick
Replies
Views
Bruxes and Bubbles
Replies
Views