Emersed plants?

1. primobryan Member Member

Hey everyone I'm looking to setup some spare tanks that I have to grow aquatic plants. I want to do a dry start method but I want to know what is considered good lighting and soil.
    I plan on propagating my plants, I'm not so sure which species yet but this tank setup that I want to do is to have more plants to put in my new pre-owned aquarium that I'm working on.
    Rather than spending $$$$$ on lots of plants I want to propagate them multiple times to cover most of the tank when I'm ready to set it up. In this new tank I plan on using ADA aquasoil amazonia on a 125/35 gallon tank at least a 5inch bed in the back to 3inches in the front for roots to properly grow.
    Now for my dry start method tanks I plan on individually planting my plants in 6" x 6" pots that will be submerged under the rim of the pots connected with a heater and air pump? as well with a CO2 tank. Where I get lost is what Kelvin should I run on emersed plants 10k? 5k? 6.5k?(I'm running a dual T5 HO fixture) Without promoting algae growth in these humid tanks.
    Now I know I said I was going to run ADA aquasoil on my new tank thats not an option on these dry start tanks, because I plan on keeping them low budget to not setback my display 125/35 tank that I have.
    Please any suggestions on good soil to grow plants emersed for at least a 2-4 months. Also a breakdown on good Kelvin for plants that won't be fully submerged

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Ok lots of info to respond to. Dry start is pretty easy. As far as what soil to use, whatever is on hand would be fine, but if you need to buy something go with miracle gro organic choice potting mix. They do fine in traditional potting mixes as well, and it's not that big of a deal unless you plan to fill it with water and livestock at some point.

Heater and air pump are not necessary, the only time I could see a heater being worthwhile is during winter and if it were super cold in the room.

Co2 isn't necessary either since your plants will be utilizing atmospheric co2. You can still inject additional co2 to speed growth even more, but that's a little out of my realm and more into greenhouse growing methodology.

As far as lighting, 6500k is typical, but it's not uncommon to mix and match to get the color that looks the best to you visually. Algae growth is inevitable, but depending on how you set up will determine how well it'll grow. I've got some emergent tanks that always have wet gravel so they get algae on the gravel, but others that the gravel stays dry so the algae doesn't grow.

Aquasoil would be a waste in an emergent tank (unless you planned to fill it with water later), even if you did have the money for it. A good potting mix will be fine for several months, so whatever you find locally. Hope this helps.

4. primobryan Member Member

Thanks I appreciate this alot,Miracle Gro organic choice it is. I may plan to grow outdoors in multiple tanks. I live in southern California it's mostly hot throughout the day so heater Yea would be unnecessary my only concern is at night the temperature can drop below 67℉ but I think I can counter that with an electrical heating pad, I believe that's what it's called we used to use it on our reptile tank, if not then I'll just set it up indoors either way I appreciate that you took the time and read my long post.