Emergency!!! Untreated tap water in tank

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I played myself.... I was doing a 25 percent water change and put untreated tap water in my tank....... I noticed 1 minute after I put the water in and quickly put 5 ml of prime in my 29 gallon tank.DID THE BACTERIA DIE!! I HAVE 15 NERITES AND 6 MYSTERY SNAILS AND 1 DWARF GOURAMI.THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS HELP!!!

OP
R

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kimberlyKeidron said:
As long as dechlorinator was put in relatively quickly after the water change you should be fine.

Are you're snails or gouramI showing any abnormal symptoms?
Well I don't know what signals to see for snails, but ill check. My gouramI has been bloated, but that's was from yesterday.

kimberlyKeidron

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
IMO do another 25% water change with dechlorinated water and see what changes your gouramI makes. Possibly fast him for a day OR feed the tank a shelled pea

OP
R

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What symptoms should I look for? I have a bottle of stability should I use that?

kimberlyKeidron

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bloating is a symptom of something more serious than I've dealt with.

However stability never hurts!
TexasDomer knows more than I on these situations and is usually the user I turn to

OP
R

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kimberlyKeidron said:
IMO do another 25% water change with dechlorinated water and see what changes your gouramI makes. Possibly fast him for a day OR feed the tank a shelled pea
I had to step out for an emergency. WOuld they be ok without the water change?

kimberlyKeidron

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If they HAVE to. They will survive. But a larger water change will be in order once you return.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You won't have issues if you put the water conditioner immediately after refilling the tank. I wouldn't worry about it. Did you test your parameters yet?

OP
R

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
el337 said:
You won't have issues if you put the water conditioner immediately after refilling the tank. I wouldn't worry about it. Did you test your parameters yet?
OH THANK GOD!! I can check them in an hour when I get back.

OP
R

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok just checked ammonia and nitrite both are at 0. I used prime again. Does this mean that I'm safe from ammonia and nitrite for another 48 hours? Thanks everybody

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't know about 48 hours but definitely for 24 hrs.

OP
R

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright guys here's my situation now. I decided to test my water again. I've been using some generic test tubes from amazon to test b/c my apI ones broke. Anyway I was going to do my water testing when I found an extra apI tube. So I filled that one up and 5 of my other generic test tubes. The ammonia test with the apI test tube was 2.0. So I took 50% of my water out. After I did that I began to think I tested wrong, so after I took the water out I took another sample and tested again. I got 0 ppm. Does this mean I had 0 all the time or did it change because I took 50% of the water out. I didn't add new water in when I tested. I had 5 generic test tubes filled with water before I did the water change and does came up to be 0 ppm as well. Any thoughts. Please guys. Thanks.

OP
R

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've added stability too as a safe precaution.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Could've been some residue in the API test tube? What you could do is use that same test tube and fill it up with spring water and do that same test to see if you get an ammonia reading. If so, then I'd say there's some chemical residue in it.

OP
R

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
el337 said:
Could've been some residue in the API test tube? What you could do is use that same test tube and fill it up with spring water and do that same test to see if you get an ammonia reading. If so, then I'd say there's some chemical residue in it.
I think it was that too. I'll do that.

OP
R

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
el337 said:
Before I added water I tested the water again with the apI test tube and got 0 ppm. I also tested the water samples I had in the other test tubes and I got 0 ppm. Do you think this enough evidence to conclude it was residue.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would think so. Because if you just did a 50% water change and you previously had 2ppm, it should've only brought you down to 1ppm.

OP
R

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
el337 said:
I would think so. Because if you just did a 50% water change and you previously had 2ppm, it should've only brought you down to 1ppm.
Wow worst morning ever!! . I got so panicked and accidently sucked up one of mystery snails and wasted a bottle of stability . Luckly he seems to be ok. I've been doing a lot of water changes these last couple of days

New Threads