Emergency! Temp is way too high

icecream1212

I live in pnw and we are having a crazy heat wave. My 65 gallon freshwater tank usually stands at 78 degrees and is currently at 83.5 my Congo’s are not acting right, my roseline sharks have lost their red color and the shrimp are moving slow. I am afraid to add cool water because I don’t want to shock them more. What is the best thing to do?? It will be 107 here tomorrow 10 degrees hotter than today. I’m so upset and need your help!! Save my fish.

Asomeone

Ice in plastic bags. Hang it and replace as it melts till it gets down to temp. Continue this throughout. Add fans above the tank if you have them and prepare to add new water as the heat/fans will cause water to evaporate. If you don't have access to ice I would personally go out and try to buy a bag of ice from a gas station or something. Toss it in the freezer and use it to keep the tank stable. Dont pour any of the water from the bags into the tank just empty it out into the sink while you replace.
ensure you have adequate water circulation with pumps to get the whole tank to temp as opposed to super cooling a certain area. Monitor the temps closely and frequently as temp swings fast are a big problem.

Upvote 0

bettafairy

You could get some kind of chiller to run in the future if the temperature ever rises this high again, otherwise I recommend doing what asomeone said!

Upvote 0

CoconutTheBetta

I live in pnw and we are having a crazy heat wave. My 65 gallon freshwater tank usually stands at 78 degrees and is currently at 83.5 my Congo’s are not acting right, my roseline sharks have lost their red color and the shrimp are moving slow. I am afraid to add cool water because I don’t want to shock them more. What is the best thing to do?? It will be 107 here tomorrow 10 degrees hotter than today. I’m so upset and need your help!! Save my fish.
To add onto what bettafairy and asosone said, you should consider getting light blackout curtains! Walmart has them for $10. If possible, you could make a quick trip to the store tomorrow morning.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Remove any lids and get some fans blowing on the water surface. Check if you have enough aeration, you may need to add an airstone. Warmer water holds less oxygen and Roselines in particular prefer cooler water with plenty of oxygen.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Get some large ice cube trays, put dechlorinated water in them and freeze them. Add 12 to 15 to the water and leave them to disolve, keep adding til temp reduces. It will be a slow reduction so will not harm the fish.

Alternatively get washed half or one litre sized water or fizzy drink bottles, fill them with water, freeze them and allow them to float in the water (keep lid of bottle tightly on). The volume of ice will very slowly melt and bring down the temp of the aquarium without harming the fish. Re-freeze once melted and use again as often as required.

Upvote 0

icecream1212

Ok thank you all. Lids are off, fans are on, ice bags for now. Will have to remove ice bags before bed so it doesn’t change temp too dramatically. I hope I can make this work. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

icecream1212

You got this
Thanks for your help! Got it to 80 even though it’s a much hotter day. fish seem happier. Whew

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Thanks for your help! Got it to 80 even though it’s a much hotter day. fish seem happier. Whew
Great good luck!!

Upvote 0

SixThreeOh

I would just add more air stones rather than lowering temps. Fish will be fine at higher temps as long as there's plenty of oxygen.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Yes the air stones are needed. I’d also check your water. The fish you have can live in these temps without problems. Even the shrimp. All are kept in discus tanks at 86 degrees. Even the sharks. So it’s got to be stress because it happened so fast and the oxygen level is lower. They should adapt. I’d also do a water change.

Upvote 0

Aquaridiot

OK, Forgive me, but I am duhhh...confused. OK, my community tank stays right around 78-79 F, and the other day I did a water change with the python and the water wouldn't go colder than 82- 82.5... I am in SC but in summer it will normally never go over 81- 81.5 and they do fine...this time one neon dwarf rainbow didn't make it which may or may not have been due to the water temp. The others did not have problems as far as I could tell. My question is, when do you put the bags of ice in? I always have a BUNCH of airstones going. I have never had this problem before in over 3 years. I don't even know if the temp change is significant enough to worry. Any advice is greatly appreciated! xoxo

Upvote 0

Asomeone

OK, Forgive me, but I am duhhh...confused. OK, my community tank stays right around 78-79 F, and the other day I did a water change with the python and the water wouldn't go colder than 82- 82.5... I am in SC but in summer it will normally never go over 81- 81.5 and they do fine...this time one neon dwarf rainbow didn't make it which may or may not have been due to the water temp. The others did not have problems as far as I could tell. My question is, when do you put the bags of ice in? I always have a BUNCH of airstones going. I have never had this problem before in over 3 years. I don't even know if the temp change is significant enough to worry. Any advice is greatly appreciated! xoxo
You might want to make your own thread for this. I would say, if you have consistently high temperatures you'd have to get fish that prefer higher temps or risk them dying. Otherwise if your tank is that hot and your fish are showing symptoms like were described at the start of this post. You might want to consider lowering the temp with ice. In this situation, it was an emergency and warranted immediate intervention. Im pretty sure dwarf rainbows will be fine in those temps and that particular fish may have just had other issues which became exacerbated when the temp shot up. Dramatic temperature changes sounds like your problem. Whereas the original poster was having issues with a consistently increasing temperature that were resulting in the fish showing symptoms of distress.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rachaeljuno
Replies
Views
Sofiafish17
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies