Emergency! Tank Leaked, Need Help/advice

default-fish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I had just come home from work today, only to find that I could smell my heater in it burning. I run into my room to find that my tank only has an inch and a half of water left! turns out there was a leak in the bottom of the tank and it had been leaking all day.

fortunately, I had an ~3 gal fish bowl that I was able to transfer my fish to with a sponge filter. those fish include:
4 scissortail rasbora
2 harlequin rasbora
3 albino cory cats
1 ghost shrimp
1 assassin snail
??? a lot of malaysian trumpet snails

I know my fish need bigger schools, but that is not my issue right now so please don't comment on it.

I plan to leave early in the morning (its 11 clock at night right now) to purchase a new tank right away.

however, my question is:
Normally i'd let the tank cycle for a few days, but I'm not sure I can let it cycle with all of my pets in a 3 gallon bowl. Is there any way for me to make it safer for them in one day (I know there's no 100% guarentee that they will survive, especially after the stress of moving), or should I just let them stay in the bowl and let the tank cycle for a day or two?

also, since my heater smelled like it was burning, is it still safe to use or should I purchase a new one as well? I was using a Cobalt Mini-Therm 20 watt heater.

And are there any other emergency things I should know about a situation like this? this is the first time this has happened to me.

Nappers

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Has your filter media dried up?
If you can save it then you probably don't need much of a cycle on the new tank.

I wouldn't trust the heater anymore...
But you could test it in a tall glass if you need it

Prest12

Reaction score
You will not have cycle the new tank (at least not a full cycle) as long as you still have your filter media, and it has not dried up. If you do not have any filter media to use, you can get do a fish in cycle, or get some bottled bacteria like tetra safestart.

OP
default-fish

default-fish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
my sponge filter that's in the bowl is also from the original tank, so I believe that will be sufficient. I also still have all of the substrate still in water (there are still snails hiding in it).

should I still get the safe start or would that be overkill? thanks so much for the advice!

Nappers

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aslong as the water quality is good in the New tank it's got to be better than the 3gal bowl, even if you need to cycle it.

Would be good to get some tests for ammonia and nitrite, if you don't want to buy then the LFS will probably test your water for free.
I'd check for a week to make sure their's no spikes

Prest12

Reaction score
I don’t think you will need the safestart. Like nappers said, just test your parameters every day for a week or so to make sure there are no spikes.

Nappers

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Prest12 said:
I don’t think you will need the safestart. Like nappers said, just test your parameters every day for a week or so to make sure there are no spikes.
I agree except you mentioned the safestart?
Apart from that you've just copied everything else I've said???

Addie42

Well Known
Reaction score
keep your filter media safe
move the pets to some sort of tub instead of keeping them in a 3 gallon

Prest12

Reaction score
I just mentioned it because I wasn’t sure if OP had any cycled filter media. Now that I know he does, I don’t think the safestart is necessary.

Nappers

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Addie42 said:
keep your filter media safe
move the pets to some sort of tub instead of keeping them in a 3 gallon
The bigger the better

Nappers said:
I agree except you mentioned the safestart?
Apart from that you've just copied everything else I've said???
Bedtime for me I think!
Good luck, hope all goes well.

OP
default-fish

default-fish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nappers said:
The bigger the better
hm, we have a ton of cats and a hyperactive puppy that LOVE tubs and might try to eat the fish, and id be worried theyd jump out since our tubs aren't very deep (those scissortails really like to move!). plus ive moved them a lot already today, I don't want to stress them further.

maybe I should move them in the morning before I go to the store?

Nappers said:
Bedtime for me I think!
Good luck, hope all goes well.
and again thank you so much for the help! have a good night Nappers!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom