Kelshewwy

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 30 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 1 year
Does it have a filter? 2 sponge filters
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 1 dojo loach, 1 common pleco, 1 white cloud minnow

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 40%
What do you use to treat your water? API Stress Coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? The substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? I had an ammonia spike from last night and I just changed 90% of the water.
Ammonia: 1.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30
pH: 6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once every night
How much do you feed your fish? 2 or 3 pellets per fish
What brand of food do you feed your fish? API
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? It started with my cory cats. One at a time, I noticed they weren't eating, then they became withdrawn, then fin rot, then swim bladder disorder, then death. Once once died, another one got infected. Then they all seemed to get it at once along with a white cloud minnow. So yesterday I moved the remaining cories to a quarantine tank and lost two more and the minnow soon after. I then noticed my Chinese algae eater was acting restless. I didn't see him last night. Through all of it the Dojo Loach has been fine, just a bit less active the past two days but still eating and swimming into my hands. This morning I found my loach floating on his side. I thought he was dead but then he mustered all his strength and wormed himself into an upright position behind the sponge filter. His barbels look smushed , his face has red spots and what looks like loose skin, he is completely upside down at this point if I pull him away from the filter and his whole body looks pruned. I noticed the water smelled so I looked all around and found the CAE dead. I checked ammonia and it was REALLY bad. So I changed 90% of the water and added stress coat, zyme, and melafix. He seems slightly more alive now but it still seems so bleak. I think he actually was poisoned by the ammonia instead of catching what the other fish had because he has no fin rot and a couple of scrapes on his body.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? 4 days ago I started Furan 2 but had to stop before the second dose because I realized I didn't have enough. I've been using melafix since then. This morning I used fungus cure. And I've dipped just the cories into methylene blue but they've all but one since passed anyway.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Lethargic, floating upside down, pruned body, white stuff on head

Attachments

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is ammonia poisoning on your loach.
Is the water test with ammonia at 1.5 after the water change? If so, do another large water change (70%+) right now and get that number lower. Dojos are scaleless fish and they do not handle high ammonia well at all. If possible, get to the store and pick up a bottle of Prime and dechlorinate your water with that. It will be much more effective in helping to control the ammonia levels than stress coat. Also, is there a way you can call or check to see if your local city or municipality is doing water line flushes/scouring? If so, there may be more chemicals in your tap water right now than normal which could be contributing to the problem. If that is the case, you may need to go to bottle water jugs for a bit to source cleaner water.

How big is your pleco? Are you aware that you will not be able to keep a common pleco in a 30as they will get much too big for such a tank?

OP
Kelshewwy

Kelshewwy

Reaction score
Yes I need to rehome the pleco. But I just did a 50% water change to fix the ammonia before reading your post and I am now at .50. Is that ok?

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kelshewwy said:
Yes I need to rehome the pleco. But I just did a 50% water change to fix the ammonia before reading your post and I am now at .50. Is that ok?
No .5 is not ok, do another 50% right now.
B.t.w I hate to be bearer of bad news but your dojo loach is not going to pull through that...you may as well get the kitchen knife and euthanize him now...he will not recover from that damage....I know from first hand experience.
How warm is the tank?
Dojos like it between 64 and 74°F
If it's at the top of that threshold or at that threshold it is no bueno.

OP
Kelshewwy

Kelshewwy

Reaction score
Wrench said:
No .5 is not ok, do another 50% right now.
B.t.w I hate to be bearer of bad news but your dojo loach is not going to pull through that...you may as well get the kitchen knife and euthanize him now...he will not recover from that damage....I know from first hand experience.
How warm is the tank?
Dojos like it between 64 and 74°F
If it's at the top of that threshold or at that threshold it is no bueno.
I don't think he'll pull through either but I am not about to attempt to euthanize him physically. I would definitely do more damage. I can't even cut vegetables right. There's no way.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kelshewwy said:
I don't think he'll pull through either but I am not about to attempt to euthanize him physically. I would definitely do more damage. I can't even cut vegetables right. There's no way.
Sorry :( I know it sounds mean but it is very fast and I feel more humane than clove oil.
When this happened to my dojo when I finally got the nerve to do it my bala shark rammed him and did it for me...she must have sensed he was sick, or she felt for me and did it I am not sure lol.

OP
Kelshewwy

Kelshewwy

Reaction score
Wrench said:
Sorry :( I know it sounds mean but it is very fast and I feel more humane than clove oil.
When this happened to my dojo when I finally got the nerve to do it my bala shark rammed him and did it for me...she must have sensed he was sick, or she felt for me and did it I am not sure lol.
Yeah I know it would be better than him suffering but I don't trust myself to do it correctly. I did another 50% water change though but it now looks like his skin is just falling off of him. This is breaking my heart he's like the coolest fish ever.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kelshewwy said:
Yeah I know it would be better than him suffering but I don't trust myself to do it correctly. I did another 50% water change though but it now looks like his skin is just falling off of him. This is breaking my heart he's like the coolest fish ever.
It stinks :( , I'm sorry

OP
Kelshewwy

Kelshewwy

Reaction score
So he's visibly breathing now. He even just went for a swim (he didn't move a muscle all day yesterday. Nkt even his gills to breathe). I did a 20% water change just now to remove any dead skin that's fallen off of him from the tank but it doesn't seem to be falling off him anymore. Why would his skin only start falling off once I removed the ammonia? Is it trying to heal?

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The sloughing of the dead skin takes time, it's not an immediate effect, and many people never realize it because they don't correct the situation fast enough and the fish dies before it get to that stage. Think of it like a sunburn ammonia burn is a chemical burn but the analogy here works) did your skin peel a ton the first day you got sunburned? No. But it sure shed a ton and made a mess for several days afterwards. Same thing here.

Keeping the water clean and the parameters in check is crucial in this stage. Test the water every single day and do as many water changes as needed to make sure the levels stay good (as as ammonia free as possible!).

OP
Kelshewwy

Kelshewwy

Reaction score
Nataku said:
The sloughing of the dead skin takes time, it's not an immediate effect, and many people never realize it because they don't correct the situation fast enough and the fish dies before it get to that stage. Think of it like a sunburn ammonia burn is a chemical burn but the analogy here works) did your skin peel a ton the first day you got sunburned? No. But it sure shed a ton and made a mess for several days afterwards. Same thing here.

Keeping the water clean and the parameters in check is crucial in this stage. Test the water every single day and do as many water changes as needed to make sure the levels stay good (as as ammonia free as possible!).
Ok that's good. Thank you! Since he's completely upside down, should I try and give him a deshelled pea or should I wait another two days to feed him altogether?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom