Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh my, so so sorry this happened!

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you guys appreciate the message. Needed to take a break and process all of this and rethink my next move.

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
*hugs* I saw you mention this on your betta thread and had to see what's up. I only just got my first batch of RCS, but I'd be happy to send some your way once they have some babies!

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ETNsilverstar said:
*hugs* I saw you mention this on your betta thread and had to see what's up. I only just got my first batch of RCS, but I'd be happy to send some your way once they have some babies!
hey @ETNsilverstar thank you! you are awesome.

Meldyran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I remember seeing this tread a few days ago and reading on this very sad topic. Since though I've been doing some research and watching some you tube videos on tank care.

An interesting bit that I picked up that immediately reminded me of this thread was the use of Activated carbon. I am by no means an authority and im sure you can do some of your own research on the use. But apparently some people use large quantities of activated carbon in their water when there may be some kind of construction work, painting, or any kind of heavy chemical use being used within the room the aquarium sits in. The idea is that the carbon helps absorb and filter any nano particles that may make contact with the water.

Activatred carbon is not sustainable as a long term part of filtration because it repletes rather quickly - so it requires constant replacements in order to keep its potency. But in a short term to remove medication, and for emergencies like this I could see it being a good option alongside big water changes.

I was thinking potentially something you could have done immediately - or maybe could still do to remove any remaining toxicity- is to use some of it in your filter and your water to clear out any unwanted material, namely that bug-spray.

I know it is not much use now, but may be something worth looking into for future reference.

Looking forward to seeing you re-bound and raise another thriving colony of shrimp-buds.

Vichu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meldyran said:
I remember seeing this tread a few days ago and reading on this very sad topic. Since though I've been doing some research and watching some you tube videos on tank care.

An interesting bit that I picked up that immediately reminded me of this thread was the use of Activated carbon. I am by no means an authority and im sure you can do some of your own research on the use. But apparently some people use large quantities of activated carbon in their water when there may be some kind of construction work, painting, or any kind of heavy chemical use being used within the room the aquarium sits in. The idea is that the carbon helps absorb and filter any nano particles that may make contact with the water.

Activatred carbon is not sustainable as a long term part of filtration because it repletes rather quickly - so it requires constant replacements in order to keep its potency. But in a short term to remove medication, and for emergencies like this I could see it being a good option alongside big water changes.

I was thinking potentially something you could have done immediately - or maybe could still do to remove any remaining toxicity- is to use some of it in your filter and your water to clear out any unwanted material, namely that bug-spray.

I know it is not much use now, but may be something worth looking into for future reference.

Looking forward to seeing you re-bound and raise another thriving colony of shrimp-buds.
@Meldyran you are right on point I thought of posting the same content what you said but upon looking at the thread date I refrained from it ...! Activated carbon could have if not completely saved few of the shrimps.

I always keep little bit of activated carbon in my nano tank filter just in case....!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom