Emergency: Shrimp Tank!

Guanchy

my wife decided to kill a spider that was next to the tank by spraying some insect killer spray and yup some of the spray went into the tank and she just counted 30 dead shrimps and a lot of them gasping for air on the surface.

I guided her on how to do a water change over the phone. I told her to change about 60% of the water, added prime and stress coat.

is there anything else I can have her do? I don't get home from work until 5pm so there is not much I can do from work.

so upset about this, my shrimp tank has been thriving and doing so well. I went from having 5 shrimps for a few months to them breeding out of the blue and now I had over 50 shrimps in there.

DoubleDutch

Sorry to hear mate.
Maybe aerate ?

Guanchy

DoubleDutch

JaksAquatics

richie.p

Guanchy

C43BA559-7E7D-4B56-808C-CC7A81FFF61B.jpeg

Fanatic

Unfortunately, that insecticide she used is going to be extremely effective against invertebrates, you may have some luck with a water change and as DoubleDutch said, aerate.

I am sorry to hear about this.

Guanchy

yeah man more than half of the shrimps are gone. The snail are surprisingly ok so far

Ohio Mark

Oh no!!!!! So sorry to hear about this!! Keep us posted!

richiep

This is sad it sounds as if the spray as mixed with the water and made it highly toxic a big water change is a must if they are still dying as much as 80% this in itself can cause a problem so do it slow if the shrimp are looking a bit better and losses are down then I'd look at 50% but much slower, as mentioned air stone I do wonder if hydrogen peroxide would help dissipate the cleaner, it's a long shot and I've not known it being tested on something like this, but if there's still a problem 24hrs after the water change I'd consider it a go in a small dose like 1mil to 8 ltr but let me check the dose before and if you want to try it

DoubleDutch

Maybe we should learn to love spiders.
There are two (male / female) living in my house. Hunting for all kind if buggers (flies, mosquitos, smaller spiders, etc.....).
No insecticides in my house.

Hoping some shrimp will survive amd will have shrimplets soon.

JaksAquatics

Guanchy said:
that is a shame I would move them to a quarintine tank almoste immidiatly

edit: didn't you say they also just started breeding?

Guanchy

blue velvet keeper said:
that is a shame I would move them to a quarintine tank almoste immidiatly

edit: didn't you say they also just started breeding?
I can try to do that as soon as I get home, my wife won't be able to go in there and catch all those shrimps. They didnt just started breeding, I meant it took them a while to start breeding and now they have been breeding for a few, and this just happens

Guanchy

richie.p said:
This is sad it sounds as if the spray as mixed with the water and made it highly toxic a big water change is a must if they are still dying as much as 80% this in itself can cause a problem so do it slow if the shrimp are looking a bit better and losses are down then I'd look at 50% but much slower, as mentioned air stone I do wonder if hydrogen peroxide would help dissipate the cleaner, it's a long shot and I've not known it being tested on something like this, but if there's still a problem 24hrs after the water change I'd consider it a go in a small dose like 1mil to 8 ltr but let me check the dose before and if you want to try it
Thanks Richie, always so helpful.

DoubleDutch said:
Maybe we should learn to love spiders.
There are two (male / female) living in my house. Hunting for all kind if buggers (flies, mosquitos, smaller spiders, etc.....).
No insecticides in my house.

Hoping some shrimp will survive amd will have shrimplets soon.
personally love spiders, my wife on the other hand panics every time she sees one

richiep

Guanchy said:
I can try to do that as soon as I get home, my wife won't be able to go in there and catch all those shrimps. They didnt just started breeding, I meant it took them a while to start breeding and now they have been breeding for a few, and this just happens
Didn't realise you had a separate tank best and quickest way to catch then is use z 1/2"tube and siphon into a bucket then tip them into a net you'll save tons of time

Guanchy

Just got home and as expected, no one shrimp left! So upset right now

SuperD14

Guanchy said:
I’m sorry for your loss, sometimes these things happen, likely for a reason too.

Skullkong101

Guanchy said:
Very sad to hear lad. I would be devastated if I were you. Well all you can really do is clean out the spray and start again.

richiep

I'm so sorry butty I hope someone over there as I would do over here is help and donate a few to get you back UK and running , I honestly feel for you as I've watched you develop into a good shrimper from the start

FishMommer

So sorry for you!!!

Ohio Mark

Oh my, so so sorry this happened!

Guanchy

Thank you guys appreciate the message. Needed to take a break and process all of this and rethink my next move.

ETNsilverstar

*hugs* I saw you mention this on your betta thread and had to see what's up. I only just got my first batch of RCS, but I'd be happy to send some your way once they have some babies!

Guanchy

ETNsilverstar said:
*hugs* I saw you mention this on your betta thread and had to see what's up. I only just got my first batch of RCS, but I'd be happy to send some your way once they have some babies!
hey ETNsilverstar thank you! you are awesome.

Meldyran

I remember seeing this tread a few days ago and reading on this very sad topic. Since though I've been doing some research and watching some you tube videos on tank care.

An interesting bit that I picked up that immediately reminded me of this thread was the use of Activated carbon. I am by no means an authority and I'm sure you can do some of your own research on the use. But apparently some people use large quantities of activated carbon in their water when there may be some kind of construction work, painting, or any kind of heavy chemical use being used within the room the aquarium sits in. The idea is that the carbon helps absorb and filter any nano particles that may make contact with the water.

Activatred carbon is not sustainable as a long term part of filtration because it repletes rather quickly - so it requires constant replacements in order to keep its potency. But in a short term to remove medication, and for emergencies like this I could see it being a good option alongside big water changes.

I was thinking potentially something you could have done immediately - or maybe could still do to remove any remaining toxicity- is to use some of it in your filter and your water to clear out any unwanted material, namely that bug-spray.

I know it is not much use now, but may be something worth looking into for future reference.

Looking forward to seeing you re-bound and raise another thriving colony of shrimp-buds.

Vichu

Meldyran said:
I remember seeing this tread a few days ago and reading on this very sad topic. Since though I've been doing some research and watching some you tube videos on tank care.

An interesting bit that I picked up that immediately reminded me of this thread was the use of Activated carbon. I am by no means an authority and I'm sure you can do some of your own research on the use. But apparently some people use large quantities of activated carbon in their water when there may be some kind of construction work, painting, or any kind of heavy chemical use being used within the room the aquarium sits in. The idea is that the carbon helps absorb and filter any nano particles that may make contact with the water.

Activatred carbon is not sustainable as a long term part of filtration because it repletes rather quickly - so it requires constant replacements in order to keep its potency. But in a short term to remove medication, and for emergencies like this I could see it being a good option alongside big water changes.

I was thinking potentially something you could have done immediately - or maybe could still do to remove any remaining toxicity- is to use some of it in your filter and your water to clear out any unwanted material, namely that bug-spray.

I know it is not much use now, but may be something worth looking into for future reference.

Looking forward to seeing you re-bound and raise another thriving colony of shrimp-buds.
@Meldyran you are right on point I thought of posting the same content what you said but upon looking at the thread date I refrained from it ...! Activated carbon could have if not completely saved few of the shrimps.

I always keep little bit of activated carbon in my nano tank filter just in case....!

Top Bottom