Emergency: Shrimp Tank!

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my wife decided to kill a spider that was next to the tank by spraying some insect killer spray and yup some of the spray went into the tank and she just counted 30 dead shrimps and a lot of them gasping for air on the surface.

i guided her on how to do a water change over the phone. i told her to change about 60% of the water, added prime and stress coat.

is there anything else i can have her do? i dont get home from work until 5pm so there is not much i can do from work.

so upset about this, my shrimp tank has been thriving and doing so well. i went from having 5 shrimps for a few months to them breeding out of the blue and now i had over 50 shrimps in there.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately, that insecticide she used is going to be extremely effective against invertebrates, you may have some luck with a water change and as DoubleDutch said, aerate.

I am sorry to hear about this.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah man more than half of the shrimps are gone. The snail are surprisingly ok so far

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is sad it sounds as if the spray as mixed with the water and made it highly toxic a big water change is a must if they are still dying as much as 80% this in itself can cause a problem so do it slow if the shrimp are looking a bit better and losses are down then I'd look at 50% but much slower, as mentioned air stone I do wonder if hydrogen peroxide would help dissipate the cleaner, it's a long shot and I've not known it being tested on something like this, but if theres still a problem 24hrs after the water change I'd consider it a go in a small dose like 1mil to 8 ltr but let me check the dose before and if you want to try it

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe we should learn to love spiders.
There are two (male / female) living in my house. Hunting for all kind if buggers (flies, mosquitos, smaller spiders, etc.....).
No insecticides in my house.

Hoping some shrimp will survive amd will have shrimplets soon.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
that is a shame i would move them to a quarintine tank almoste immidiatly

edit: didn't you say they also just started breeding?
i can try to do that as soon as i get home, my wife wont be able to go in there and catch all those shrimps. They didnt just started breeding, i meant it took them a while to start breeding and now they have been breeding for a few, and this just happens

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is sad it sounds as if the spray as mixed with the water and made it highly toxic a big water change is a must if they are still dying as much as 80% this in itself can cause a problem so do it slow if the shrimp are looking a bit better and losses are down then I'd look at 50% but much slower, as mentioned air stone I do wonder if hydrogen peroxide would help dissipate the cleaner, it's a long shot and I've not known it being tested on something like this, but if theres still a problem 24hrs after the water change I'd consider it a go in a small dose like 1mil to 8 ltr but let me check the dose before and if you want to try it
Thanks Richie, always so helpful.

Maybe we should learn to love spiders.
There are two (male / female) living in my house. Hunting for all kind if buggers (flies, mosquitos, smaller spiders, etc.....).
No insecticides in my house.

Hoping some shrimp will survive amd will have shrimplets soon.
personally love spiders, my wife on the other hand panics every time she sees one

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i can try to do that as soon as i get home, my wife wont be able to go in there and catch all those shrimps. They didnt just started breeding, i meant it took them a while to start breeding and now they have been breeding for a few, and this just happens
Didn't realise you had a separate tank best and quickest way to catch then is use z 1/2"tube and siphon into a bucket then tip them into a net you'll save tons of time

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just got home and as expected, no one shrimp left! So upset right now

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry butty I hope someone over there as I would do over here is help and donate a few to get you back UK and running , I honestly feel for you as I've watched you develop into a good shrimper from the start

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom