Emergency. Power went out for an hour+ - 55 Gal Goldfish tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by lbonini1, Jul 30, 2015.

1. lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

Hi all, big emergency here! I came back and all the fish were at the bottom, breathing very slowly, I managed to get the power back on as the outlets the fish stuff was plugged into must've short circuited or something and now they're back up and swimming around though my fantail is flashing it seems....

She will occasionally get these spasms where she swims to the very top of the tank and then back down extremely quickly.

I don't have a functioning Ammonia reagent as it is giving me invalid results so I'm curious, should I dose Amquel+ to keep them safe from Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate poisoning? I don't know how much to give them and I'm also not sure if the bacteria is dead or not.

Please help. How much amquel+ should I dose the tank since I can't do a WC right now?

2. R

Rrshaf3 New Member Member

Nothing should be wrong if the power was out for only a few hours maybe just a lack of oxygen, but the water and fish should be fine now.

3. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

You're probably right. I need to get an API Ammonia Reagent to confirm. In a few hours I will do a Nitrite test to see how those are...

4. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Even in a fishstore bag, if youre careful, they can go well over an hour.

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

So long as the filter media stayed wet, you should be fine. I lost power for 28 hours and all my bacteria survived. While I do not know how long bacteria can go without food, I do know it can go a while.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I find that even a brief outage can cause my smaller A/C HOBs to lose prime, so what I do now it attach a power bar to a surge protector that has a battery backup. It seems to work well, and saves me some worry when I am out of town (hamlet:) ) for a few days. rick

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice