Emergency - Power Out

1. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

Please help!

The power just went out and we are supposed to leave to go out of town for 2 nights. The battery backup that we have isn't working and I can't seem to find anyone else who has one I can borrow. :'(

Right now we have the car running and an extension cord running from that to the filter. It can't stay like that for long. :(

I don't know how long the power will be gone. It was the main transmission line in the forest (our whole peninsula is out) so they have the helicopter out looking for the problem.

Such horrible timing. :'( Is there anything I can do?

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I would take the media out of the filter and submerge it in the tank. Other than that I don't know what else you can do on such short notice. Hope they fix it soon!

3. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

Thank you. I'll do try to do that. I also have a sponge filter so hopefully those bacteria will survive.

They found the problem but have no workers in the area. It's a 2 hour drive and then they have to fix it. :(

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I lived in a place where power outages were common and I found that the sponge filter survived just fine. Keep the media wet and you may just have to deal with a small hiccup in your cycle.

5. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

Thanks! Do you think they'll be ok until we get home Friday evening? My parents can come over this evening to make sure everything came back on ok with the power and they can keep an eye on them until I get back.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

7. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately I can't get anything. We have a nautilus and usually that's what we use but this time it seems to have crapped out. There is no where to buy anything like that in my town and all the stores are closed because the power is out. :'(

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Unless you have really sensitive fish or are overstocked they'll probably be fine.

9. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

I have a 60 gallon tank. There is one angelfish, 9 diamond tetras, a kuhli loach (trying to get more, he's a rescue), and a tiny bn pleco.

I dumped the bio balls into the tank. I didn't bother with the mechanical filtration. I hope that is enough.

The latest info on the power is that the estimated time for restoration is midnight. The power went out at 9 this morning. :(

10. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

You can always take some potatoes, hydrogen peroxide, an empty water bottle. Dice the potatoes and put them into the water bottle. Drill a hole about 5mm and put the airline tube into the bottle cap and pour the hydrogen peroxide into the bottle. This will create oxygen that will feed into the airline tube and you'll have some oxygen in the tank for a few hours.

You can always look this up at The King of DIY.

11. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

Thanks! That would have been possible if I didn't already leave town. :(

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

They'll be fine. There's always gas exchange at the interface of air and water, there don't seem to be many fish in the tank so oxygen shouldn't be an issue for them.

13. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I hope so.

My parents just got home but the power is now supposed to be out until 12:30 so my mom will go over and check tomorrow morning. Hopefully she won't end up walking into a horror scene. :'(

I just did a big water change yesterday, cleaned all the substrate, but didn't clean the filters yet. I hope that's a good thing. At least the water should have been in tip top shape

14. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

Update :)

The power came back after about 12 hours. My mom went over and just as she had the lights programmed the power went out again! She left to come back this morning but by the time she got home it was back up again (she only lives 2 houses away!) She went back and programmed the lights and fed the fish. She said that they were all swimming around at the top of the tank (although I don't think the loach or the bn pleco were up there) When she went back this morning she said the fish were all swimming around happily.

I'm so happy this turned out well so far. I'll test the water when I get home tomorrow and keep an eye on it for a while.

Thanks everyone for your help.

15. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

Update #2

We got home this evening and unfortunately the pleco didn't make it :'( I'm so sad.

16. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry you lost the pleco. I just lost my new little one and know how you feel. . But it's good that everyone else is doing well.

17. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

It sucks. I really liked him :'( But I'm really happy everyone else seems to be ok.

18. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry to hear that x