Emergency! Power Is Out!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by River Gray, Apr 16, 2018.

1. River Gray

River Gray Valued Member Member

So an ice storm in late April!!! has cause power outages all over the place and I’m going nuts over my tanks.
    The descriptions and occupants of each are updated in my profile or whatever (or will be in a moment when I add the new residents of the 5 gallon QT right after I post this) so you can check that to give me any specific info I need to know to make sure everyone stays alive and happy.
    Right now all the tanks are wrapped in multiple layers of blankets and are getting extra warm, tho within reason (don’t want scalding!) water replacements when the thermometers get to low for my taste.
    Normally the auto heaters is the 5 and 30gal tanks keep them at around 76-78 degrees F and everyone seems happy and healthy (except one fish that seems to be having an issue that I’ll have to address in a different thread but isn’t related to the temp I’m pretty sure anyways...) and the 10gal shrimp tank, that also has three Otos in it, is set at about 81°F which everyone seems happy with as well.
    I’ve read so many different “typical ranges” for what temps the both the Otos and the Shrimp like to live in as well as what seems to make them breed as well, that I am not really sure at all what is acceptable and will be ok for them. I can only say that thus far these temps have worked for all my tanks and is the first time I have seen successful breeding happening with my shrimp and possibly even have an impregnated Oto (or two as one in the 30gal is either just fat or possibly pregnant but I don’t feel as confident that any fry will result from that pregnancy as their are fish that will eat eggs and fry where in the other tank it’s only shrimp and Otos so they should be much safer if there is a pregnancy) even which I hope will yield some Oto fry for us soon. First tho I have to get thru this power outage!

What more can I do besides have blankets wrapped around and adding hot water?
    I’m worried about the lack of circulation and introduction of oxygen and not having the filters running and what might happen to the bioload, tho I have been adding some warm water into the filters a little each time so that hopefully not all the bioload will die.
    We also have the fish room (aka our living room lol) closed off with blankets for curtains across the doorways so that all the heat stays as much as possible in the space with the tanks.
    Finally getting an indoor propane heater going in the room which will hopefully cut down the amount of hot water that needs to be added all the time so I can get some sleep without waking up every couple hours (alarm or not) freaked out that the fish and especially the week old shrimp fry are going to freeze to death! It’s so much easier (usually) to keep hot things colder than cold things hotter!
    What all/more can I do?!?!?!

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Don’t dump hot water directly into the tank. If your tank loses temperature, add in some warmer water of about two degrees higher than what it was before.

You have your shrimp tank a little too hot, it’s past the recommended range for otocinclus.

3. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Try floating water bottles full of hot water to keep temperatures...less chance of burning the fish, and they can gather in the area around the bottle for the temperature they want

As the water cools to the tank, you can release it as a top off, to bring in some freshness

There are battery operated air pumps, but I don’t know what they cost

4. OP
    OP
    River Gray

I’ve been careful about how hot/warm the water I add in is as well as being aware of where the fish are in the tank and in reference to where the water is being poured. I’m not like heating it on the stove and dumping boiling water in lol!
    And I’ve seen some places that have Otos up to 82° as their range in places so I keep it around 80-82 like I said and they seem happy and healthy and one even looks to be pregnant. You can check out pics of them in my Oto threads tho not the one about fat Oto because that one is in a cooler tank. It’s and it’s compangion are both older, bigger, and a lot less active day or night than the ones in the warmer tank which flutter around quite merrily chancing each other and exploring, cruising the tank for food, and just chillin on leaves or the glass or on a wafer when they feel like it. Eventually the three Otos will join the bigger two in the cooler tank by way of a very very slow drip acclimation, tho I want to wait till I see if the small pregnant one will have fry born while she’s in a tank that is egg friendly so they have a chance.

The water bottle idea sounds wonderful and hecka smart! Duly noted and I shall be filling bottles shortly! Thanks for the great idea !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  5. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

As for oxygen you can pour water from a height to get some bubbles which then will provide oxygen

6. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Use an electric blanket to keep em' warm ( one that runs on batteries :p)

7. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

One warning about wrapping your tank in blankets. When the power comes back on, the filter may suck the blanket in flooding the area around the tank. So unplug the filter until the power is back on and you've removed the blankets!

8. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

If the powers out the filter won’t work haha

9. j

Yea but when the power comes back on, the filter will too... and suck the blanket right in.

10. OP
    OP
    River Gray

You’d have to have the filter open or the blanket dangling in the water neither of which would be good for keeping tanks warm really. Thankfully the power is back on and no blankets got sucked into anything....my shrimp colony sadly had a much sadder state of affairs by the time power came back...

11. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

very sorry :(

12. OP
    OP
    River Gray

Thank you, not that I feel like balloons represent this particular sentiment it’s what they’ve got. I’ll be posting more about the colony loss on the invert page... I’m so sad bout um... and the possibility that two Otos (in different tanks o_O!) are missing and possibly passed on as well. The only other apparent casualty seems to be my green long fin Glo tetra, whom apparently has had diminished eye sight ever since he got himself wedged so badly into a hole/tunnel in a rock that I had to manually help eject him and really didn’t expect him to live after that, seems to have likely hit something in the tank pretty hard in the darkness under the blanket and dislocated his bottom jaw to the point it actually just out to the other side in a knob as well as has what looks like the fish version of a black eye and possibly broken nasal passage?...but the rest seem good I believe.

13. j

I have an open top internal filter, and a hole in my lid right above it, so I guess that would do it. Either way it was a mess a few years ago.

14. OP
    OP
    River Gray

Ah ya that would probably do it. I'm just glad it's over... Now I need to restock

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice