Emergency! Please help!

1. TomTheFishNoob

TomTheFishNoob Valued Member Member

My 3 plates, 2 mollies, and 1 dwarf gourami are bullying my new really small 9 neon tetras! Im afraid they will get eaten or die! Idk what to do and freaking out!

2. T

Talisaint Valued Member Member

Welcome to the forum!

How large is the tank? They might be bullying out of curiosity or because of the lack of space. Also, is your tank planted? Are there placed the neon tetras can hide right now? What are your male to female ratios for your platies and mollies? Males tend to be more aggressive while females tend to be more peaceful.

Also, if you're scared right now, try to take your neon tetras out or put something like wood, plastic, glass temporarily to keep them separated for now.

3. OP
    OP
    TomTheFishNoob

TomTheFishNoob Valued Member Member

I have 2 female platies, 1 male platy, 2 male mollies, 1 male gourami. I have 20 gallon tank and I'll be rehoming the mollies soon. They are all calming down now which is a big relief. My tank doesn't have a lot of decor but ill be getting some soon.

4. T

Talisaint Valued Member Member

I don't own them, but some of my friends do, so I'm not sure if my friends' experience and what they've told me is reliable for you.

If they've calmed down, it was probably curiosity since my fish do something similar when anything new is added.
    The platies should be fine in a 1:2 male female ratio. Mollies might be aggressive since they usually need to be in the same ratio and could take their frustration out on the neon tetras. The dwarf gourami chased her neon tetras around for a bit, but eventually lost interest and completely ignored them.

If your fish still bully, you can provide plants or a decor with tunnels to help the neon tetras hide. Out of sight, out of mind! You can also try the bag trick where you leave the fish in a bag above the tank and when the other fish get used to the sight of new fish, they tend to ignore them. However, I've only ever heard people do that to betta fish.

Hope I can help you! It's normal to have heart attacks when you're trying something new. I do extensive research and I'm still frightened when I add a new fish in!

I hope someone with more reliable info can help!