Emergency! Platy completely lost her tail! Fins are shredded and scales have come off. Please help!

KatieFMJ

I have a female Platy who is in much distress, I am a seasoned fish owner and have never seen anything quite like this before. She resides in a 120l tank with other female Platys and 3 small Cory cats. The ornaments include soft plants and a couple of moss balls. I watch my fish often and throughout the day this particular Platy (Bandit) has been fine, but to my shock and horror I discovered her on the bottom in much distress at feeding time a few minutes ago! Somehow her tail has been ripped off completely, her front fins have been shredded and cut by what looks like scissors and her scales have been rubbed off on her right side . These injuries look mechanical and the only thing I can think of is she has somehow ended up in the filter (Easy Crystal Filter Box 600) got churned up and spat back out. Will she survive?! How do I treat her? Please see photos attached, excuse poor quality and my phone isn’t the best but hopefully you can see her injuries. I’m desperate for advice

Attachments

• 23D2C94B-8904-41FE-AAA6-75A0D6A34F26.jpeg
    23D2C94B-8904-41FE-AAA6-75A0D6A34F26.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 1438244E-6BAA-49AF-8C5A-7A71F86C7908.jpeg
    1438244E-6BAA-49AF-8C5A-7A71F86C7908.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 43

Ghelfaire

Pristine water will help heal the fins. If you have a separate tank that would be best for her. If not maybe a tub with an airstone or filter with frequent water changes might help. Right now she won't be able to compete for food and might get picked on by the other fish.

Was there any way she could have gotten stuck in the filter?

Upvote 0

KatieFMJ

Pristine water will help heal the fins. If you have a separate tank that would be best for her. If not maybe a tub with an airstone or filter with frequent water changes might help. Right now she won't be able to compete for food and might get picked on by the other fish.

Was there any way she could have gotten stuck in the filter?

Thank you so much for your response! I have a hospital tank I can put her in and will be moving her into shortly, she seemed very stressed after her experience and so I let her settle in familiar surroundings for a bit. I did catch her eating a couple pieces of food although she normally eats so much more than that! Is it a good sign she’s still eating? The other fish are all really good tempered but you never know what will happen when one is so poorly I guess Do you believe her tail will grow back fully and be functional again?

The only way she could have got in the filter is through the water flow outlets at the top? However that would be very difficult and I’m not even sure it’s possible? But that’s the only thing I can think of?
Ps, I have raised her since she was a tiny fry, so she is not a fully grown Platy. She’s only about 5 months old and seems to be quite a small female as it is, so possibly this is how she managed to get inside the filter?

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

Yes it's a good sign she's eating

Fins have been known to regrow after some massive damage so there's hope

I meant stuck to the filter intake not actually in the filter. I can't think of anything else unless one of the other fish went rouge on her.

Upvote 0

KatieFMJ

I am very happy to report that Bandit is doing better than ever! She has rejoined the community and her fins, scales and tail are growing back so fast! She seems really happy and I’m feeling really proud of her. The cause was found to be the filter and I wrote to the manufacturer detailing the flaw and how dangerous it was. I have since purchased a new filter so this never happens again.

Attachments

• DA1A6CE3-1149-4800-9CBB-B30BD61D232A.jpeg
    DA1A6CE3-1149-4800-9CBB-B30BD61D232A.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

Good to hear. Having a sponge on the filter intake is another solution if you see it happening again. It'll also prevent any fry from getting sucked up too.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Neurogirl1515
Replies
Views
Merz
Replies
Views
FishPlanet
Replies