Emergency!!!!no Power!!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by FishFor2018, Jun 13, 2018.

1. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

hello I just lost power about 10 minutes ago and sadly one of my favorite fish passed. She was a pregnant female guppy. I have Bettas that I’m not worried about but..... I have 6 guppy fry, 2 Corydoras, and 3 tetra GloFish. Is there anything I can do to help them. I have no bubblers or heaters or anything that’s battery operated. I don’t know how long the power will be out for. Will the fry get to cold and die or any of my other fish. Should I be worried about anything else. I put some stress zyme in there to calm them down.
    ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

hello I just lost power about 10 minutes ago and sadly one of my favorite fish passed. She was a pregnant female guppy. I have Bettas that I’m not worried about but..... I have 6 guppy fry, 2 Corydoras, and 3 tetra GloFish. Is there anything I can do to help them. I have no bubblers or heaters or anything that’s battery operated. I don’t know how long the power will be out for. Will the fry get to cold and die or any of my other fish. Should I be worried about anything else. I put some stress zyme in there to calm them down.
    ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Also I forgot to add in that I have 2 Apple nertile snails and three mystery snails

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2018
  2. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Okay if you lost a fish after 10 min of power outage either your tank is WAY over stocked and depleting oxygen really fast or it was something else.

Cories can gulp air from the surface and they're actually really good indicators of the O2 levels in your tank if they're doing it A LOT the O2 is low.
    The snails can come up to the surface too.

Other wise wrap the tank with a towel to keep it warm if it's cold where you are. If the powers not on again in a couple hours you can either do water changes to keep the water oxygenated.

A battery operated bubbler (or one that can run off a USB power bank) is handy to have in these situations. I've had tanks where the powers been off for 24 hours though and all was well.

3. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Okay thank you so very much! I have had guppies in the past and the store that I got them from always had sick fish so maybe it was sick also. My tank is a 10 gallon and it currently holds 3 GloFish tetras 2 Corydoras and 3 snails. I do weekly %20 water changes. I will look into buying battery operated things for the tank. I live in FL I believe it’s around 85 degrees Fahrenheit outside right now. Thank you!

4. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Very likely she was sick.

If it's 85F you don't need to worry about heat just try and keep it oxygenated. If your cories start doing mad surface runs then change out 10% water and pour it in from above don't put a hose in to fill it. You want to agitate the surface water.

Also don't feed them at all until you have filtration again.

Also, you are way over populated in that tank. Snails make a LOT of mess. I would not keep more than 1 per 10 G of water.

Your Cories are going to need a bigger home eventually too unless they're the pygmy verity and they should be in bigger groups (6 or more ideally).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2018
  5. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Shouldnt be too worried. Fish are transported in much worse conditions and most survive. You should, however, check to see if they are gasping for air. That would be my primary concern if you have a lid on your tank.

6. SaltySeaLion

SaltySeaLion Valued Member Member

How are your fish? Usually short power outages won't be a problem if the ambient (room) temperature isn't very different from tank temperature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice