Emergency! Nerite won’t move!

MangoPineapple

Help my nerite snail Bob isn’t moving, he was flipped for 2-4 hours before he was flipped upright again, it’s since been three days and he hasn’t moved at all. His trapdoor is shut and his foot doesn’t respond to being touched. Please help me, I just did a 50% water change just in case it was poor water quality. This tank has been running for about 4 months so there should be plenty of biofilm and his tank mates are guppies so he shouldn’t be getting bullied. Please help me I’m really worried and it’s starting to stress me out that he’s no moving. I tried an air bath but he still didn’t move, he doesn’t stink so he’s not dead, please help me

Dunk2

Help my nerite snail Bob isn’t moving, he was flipped for 2-4 hours before he was flipped upright again, it’s since been three days and he hasn’t moved at all. His trapdoor is shut and his foot doesn’t respond to being touched. Please help me, I just did a 50% water change just in case it was poor water quality. This tank has been running for about 4 months so there should be plenty of biofilm and his tank mates are guppies so he shouldn’t be getting bullied. Please help me I’m really worried and it’s starting to stress me out that he’s no moving. I tried an air bath but he still didn’t move, he doesn’t stink so he’s not dead, please help me
Take him out and give him a smell. No or very little smell and he’s probably ok.

Edit: Sorry, I now see you already smelled him. I’d leave him be but keep an eye on him. My Nerites sometimes do the same thing.

PAcanis

I had two do the same thing at the same time. By day three or for they did not pass the smell test.

MangoPineapple

I had two do the same thing at the same time. By day three or for they did not pass the smell test.
Ok today is day three so I’ll smell him again tomorrow and I’ll continue to do so until he either doesn’t pass the test or he starts moving. I’ll just leave him be and hope for the best

MangoPineapple

Thank you all for your help, but unfortunately Bob the snail has passed away

PAcanis

You like to give them every opportunity, but I'm wondering if waiting too long to pull mine out caused my higher ammonia I had to deal with.

Blacksheep1

Aw I’m sorry for your loss of Bob. I’ve found a dead nerite today too , my pleco had burried him in the sand whilst being crazy :(

MangoPineapple

Aw I’m sorry for your loss of Bob. I’ve found a dead nerite today too , my pleco had burried him in the sand whilst being crazy :(
I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope your pleco is ok though
You like to give them every opportunity, but I'm wondering if waiting too long to pull mine out caused my higher ammonia I had to deal with.
I kept mine in a little cup floating at the surface and changed it every day so it wouldn't cause an ammonia spike in my tank

Blacksheep1

ThankyouOh pleco is fine ! He’s huge and went on a food rampage and shifted all the sand on top of the nerite with his fins ! I noticed my other two nerites out of the water and when I couldn’t find the third thought maybe he’d escaped , tested water and ammonia was rising . It’s a good job I found the little fella really !
I don’t think I’ll get another to replace him as I have mts too. It’s not been a good day for the nerites has it !
The floating cup is a great solution to that worry !

MangoPineapple

ThankyouOh pleco is fine ! He’s huge and went on a food rampage and shifted all the sand on top of the nerite with his fins ! I noticed my other two nerites out of the water and when I couldn’t find the third thought maybe he’d escaped , tested water and ammonia was rising . It’s a good job I found the little fella really !
I don’t think I’ll get another to replace him as I have mts too. It’s not been a good day for the nerites has it !
The floating cup is a great solution to that worry !
Definitely! I'm glad everyone else is ok, and I'm trying to convince myself I don't need a fourth tank...

PAcanis

I'll keep the floating cup in mind.
Wouldn't it have been great to look in one morning and not see him? :)

MangoPineapple

I'll keep the floating cup in mind.
Wouldn't it have been great to look in one morning and not see him? :)
That was what I was really hoping for! But unfortunately it was not meant to be :(

Blacksheep1

Definitely! I'm glad everyone else is ok, and I'm trying to convince myself I don't need a fourth tank...
Same, but 3rd not 4th ! I’d love a pea puffer tank . I just find the little faces so intriguing! Or an Oscar tank but that’s a whole different level.
Will you get a Bob jr ?

MangoPineapple

Same, but 3rd not 4th ! I’d love a pea puffer tank . I just find the little faces so intriguing! Or an Oscar tank but that’s a whole different level.
Will you get a Bob jr ?
I currently have another Nerite, his name is Larry, and he's in a tank with an ivory mystery so I hope to move him in there. I am currently working on tank number three, it's a 10 gallon pygmy cory tank. I have a thread about it if you want to check it out!

Blacksheep1

I currently have another Nerite, his name is Larry, and he's in a tank with an ivory mystery so I hope to move him in there. I am currently working on tank number three, it's a 10 gallon pygmy cory tank. I have a thread about it if you want to check it out!
Oh stop !!!! Mine were called Larry , Garry and Harry but when one started laying eggs EVERYWHERE she was re named sally !
Of course I want to check it out ! I have a huge fish , snail , tank addiction and I love looking at what everyone else does ! I claim it’s for inspiration but I’m lying , I just enjoy it :hilarious:

MangoPineapple

Oh stop !!!! Mine were called Larry , Garry and Harry but when one started laying eggs EVERYWHERE she was re named sally !
Of course I want to check it out ! I have a huge fish , snail , tank addiction and I love looking at what everyone else does ! I claim it’s for inspiration but I’m lying , I just enjoy it : hilarious :
Really? That's hilarious! I'm pretty sure Larry is male, but even if he's not I will continue to call him larry :)
I love checking out other people's builds for "inspiration" but really it's because I want another tank...

Blacksheep1

Really? That's hilarious! I'm pretty sure Larry is male, but even if he's not I will continue to call him larry :)
I love checking out other people's builds for "inspiration" but really it's because I want another tank...
Garry came from spongebobs snail as well .. kids ! Then they named the rest :D

well yeah same if I’m honest but I don’t tell the nine fish keepers in my life that as I already get looked at like I’m mad. They just don’t get it, this forum fulfills my aquatic addiction !! There’s no such thing as too many tanks or too much fish ( unless over stocked , in which case buy more tanks ) !

MangoPineapple

Garry came from spongebobs snail as well .. kids ! Then they named the rest :D

well yeah same if I’m honest but I don’t tell the nine fish keepers in my life that as I already get looked at like I’m mad. They just don’t get it, this forum fulfills my aquatic addiction !! There’s no such thing as too many tanks or too much fish ( unless over stocked , in which case buy more tanks ) !
The ultimate solution is just to keep buying tanks and fish

Blacksheep1

Agreed ! You encourage me and I’ll encourage you …

MangoPineapple

Agreed ! You encourage me and I’ll encourage you …
Yep! And we can share knowledge on what works and what doesn't

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
  • Question
Replies
Views
socketsnizzle