Important Emergency: My Tiger Barb is swimming is circles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgoth

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I came home from a trip to my cottage on the weekend to discover that one of my tiger barbs is swimming in circles and seems to not be using one of his fins. He also seems to be a bit bloated. I fed my fish on Friday before I left and again on Sunday when I returned. I also took note not to over feed them because of the lack of the food the previous day.

I woke up today to my fish still acting strange. I thought he might just have air in belly from eating off the water surface but I have never seen a tiger barb act this strange.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? I have a quarantine tank, but I don't think he really needs it. The other fish are not picking on him and the water flow is quite calm.

There are not physical marks or sores, just a bit fat on the belly.

I recently started to add Potassium to the tank for the plants, also added some zebra Danios, all very happy and healthy.

Thanks for reading, hopefully he will pull through.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!(if I havent already)
have you done a test of your water for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates to rule anything out? do you have any prime or amquel+ on hand? a small water change never hurts anything and I hope things are ok for your tiger!! not sure about the potassium as I dont add anything for my plants....I Hope someone can help there!

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What did you feed your Tiger Barb with?
If indigestion, the best remedy is cooked pea without the skin.

Last edited:
OP
Morgoth

Morgoth

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am going to try the cooked peas trick. I woke up today with his belly less swollen, but all his fins are a bit frayed (perhaps from the tank mates). He is eating, and all I fed him was flake food.

I forgot to mention that he is showing signs of bloating or swim bladder infection. His head is facing downwards as he swims.

I think he will be alright if I can get him some peas and he can get over his infection.

Thanks for the tip.

OP
Morgoth

Morgoth

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Another Update:
He is doing a lot better, acting normal again. The peas seemed to have worked, the swollen belly has gone away, and he is not swimming in circles.

I am concerned the his fins are all frayed and I am not sure how well they will grow back, but healthy is my biggest worry. I wonder if I quarantined him it would have been better for him physically and mentally.

I didn't want to take him out of his tank, stress him out or shock him by placing him in my 5 gallon tank, especially since I didn't quite know what was affecting him. Do you have opinion about quarantine tanks? I need some more information about how to maintain and operate a quarantine tank so in the future, my aggressive fish will be safe over night.

Thanks for reading.

OP
Morgoth

Morgoth

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just read Quarantine Tank Setup Guide, and that gave me some great information. I do currently have guppies in my quarantine tank, but I can always move them over to my non-aggressive 10 gallon tank.

I am going to do a little more research, but I like to hear opinions and experience from some of the forum members, freshwater or saltwater quarantine tanks.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom