Emergency! My molly has dropsy!

1. Mystic54 Member Member

I've never encountered this disease before. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 0, Temp 72F
    My marble molly is the only fish exhibiting the dropsy symptoms but one of my platies is also ill. My platy seems to be exhibiting clamped fins and just kind of floating at the top. She isn't floating on her side or in any abnormal way though. The molly has the "pine cone" effect with the fins and is rocking back and forth on the bottom on the tank while attempting to swim.
    Should I quarantine them?
    Other fish are acting normal.
    Please help..

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'd quarantine them...

Is your tank cycled? Your nitrates are 0... do you have live plants?

3. Mystic54 Member Member

Yes, tank is cycled, has been for quite a few months now. And I do have live plants.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

5. Mystic54 Member Member

Thanks Ken, but I have already reviewed those links and nothing seems to be helping. I have her quarantined but now she is laying on the bottom of the tank upside down and she's still trying to swim :(

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry :(
    Usually once they pine cone it's too late to do anything. I hate to say it, but you might want to consider euthanasia.
    If you decide that's the best course of action this link will help:
    Humane method of Euthanasia for sick fish

7. Mystic54 Member Member

Thank you for the advice Lucy, but I'm afraid my molly has already passed. I just hope she wasn't suffering too much :( RIP

But I do have a question, is dropsy contagious?

8. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

aww, poor u. i know how u feel, its awful. my 4" albino rainbow shark died of dropsy. it was terrible. its not contagious.