Emergency, Koi & Comets Jumping

Discussion in 'Koi' started by Goundar01, May 30, 2019.

1. Goundar01

Goundar01Valued MemberMember

Koi's white scales are pinkish orange and jumps out of the water or tries to scratch it's side. Just applied Microbe-Life BSDT - Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment.

Have done a 50% water change....

Also added a larger air disc! Using Pondmaster AP-60 with 9" air disc. Other koi and comets are jumping.

I'm very worried, please help![​IMG][​IMG]

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Did you test your water for nitrates etc? Is there a chance some chemical made it's way in there? What is the water temp? You don't have any electrical equipment that might be sending a current through the water? No fish eating water snakes hiding under the rocks in there? Why does the water look so bright green? Are you having some kind of strange algae bloom that might be toxic or stealing oxygen? Oh, the green is from the meds...

3. OP
    OP
    Goundar01

Can't test right now. Water testing kit had depleted. I'll probably go and pick one tomorrow. No chemicals can, above ground pond. No chance of a current to go through the water. No water snakes, no rocks. The disease treatment was a dark blue colour. Water was already slightly green.

4. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

My guess then is that your nitrates might have gotten a bit high, fish will jump to try to get out of water that is causing discomfort and rub against things when their skin is irritated. You didn't say what your pond temperature is. How long have the koi been in that pond? Did you cycle it?

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    Goundar01

10°C and the ponds been around since summer 2015.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Do you notice an excess of mucus / slime as well? My thoughts go to a protozoan infection.

7. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

sounds like parasites. the microb lift should be able to take care of it

8. OP
    OP
    Goundar01

Test kit just arrived! Going to go check the water

9. OP
    OP
    Goundar01

This is what I got....[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Skavatar

i checked out their website and several others, can't find if its safe for your beneficial bacteria, but it says do not bypass biological filter, so it shouldn't affect the beneficial bacteria?

if so, you're not cycled. if not, then it killed your cycle.

pH looks like 6.0 or lower.

how long have you had this pond?

11. OP
    OP
    Goundar01

It looks like a ph crash. Got the ph up to 7. Since 2015. They're all looking good now and swimming about.

12. OP
    OP
    Goundar01

The first image is for ph. The top tube was done before adding a ph balancer. The bottom tube was after the ph balance. [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Skavatar

but your ammonia is still high.

14. OP
    OP
    Goundar01

Yeah, working on it. The fish are all doing better after water changes and ph increase. Partially there