Emergency, I don't know what to do!

Asaller
Yesterday the bulb on my 30 gallon tank blew out. It's a temporary home to my Florida spotted gar, GT, EBJD, and common pleco. I'm planning on moving these fish into a 90 gallon before the end of the week. And then if they outgrow that then a 125 and possibly a 325 for the gar. Anyways I went around looking through our basement to see if we had any replacement bulbs for the tank. I found a bulb that fit the fixture so I put it in, turned it on and walked away. I came back a few hours later and notices that the tank was very poorly lit so I asked my dad if that was normal because it was his when he had fish tanks. He told me it was a UV bulb and to turn it off immediately. The bulb was on the tank for about 4-6 hours and the fish didn't look any different except maybe a little stressed. I went to bed and 6-8 hours later I noted a big change. All my fish were sitting on the bottom berily moving and they had lost a lot of color. Their fins were clamped to their body's and just berily staying upright and not wanting to eat. They look like they are about to die. I took the light fixture form a 55 gallon and put it on but it has been about 14 hours and I haven't noticed a change in any fish except the bar who is swimming in the current of my filter but still had a lot of color loss. The tank has been set up for close to a year now and there is one very large peace of drift wood/birch root that I dug up and put in there. The wood has been in for 6ish months with no harm to my fish and my pleco enjoys it.
There is no ammonia in the tank but even with knowing that I did a 50% water change thinking there was something in the water. There has been no change in my fish and it looks like the GT, and EBJD are close to death. I'm not sure If 4-6 hours of UV lighting can kill 4 inch fish. The gar is bout 6-8 in so maybe that's why he is not as effected. I'm not sure if there is any way of saving my fish, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

smee82
Never used uv bulbs so I'm not sure but I always do big water changes when something goes wrong. Fresh water always seems to help

mschwegler
If the bulb was a true UV bulb then your fish have UV (radiation) poisoning. The severity of the poisoning will depend on the type of UV emitted from the bulb.
UV-A: longest wavelength, least damaging.
UV-B: middle wavelength, moderate damaging.
UV-C: shortest wavelength, most damaging.

I don't think there is anything you can do for radiation poisoning in fish. Even if they do recover, they are permanently damaged and the chances of developing cancer are high.

Asaller
I'm not sure what wave length it was but it was meant to go in a UV sterilizer. Sadly most of my fish died, only the GT is left but I won't eat, move and looks like it's in pain. I'm thinking about putting it to sleep but if it has a chance of recovery then I may not.

Asaller
So now I have an empty 90 gallon aquarium and I need stocking ideas so I guess I'm going to start a new thread.

mschwegler
That's a lot of radiation. It would be like laying in a tanning bed for 4-6 hours.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DuaneV
  • Question
Replies
Views
FitSoldier
Replies
Views
Herkimur
Replies