Emergency Help On Cichlid Please

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by fish time, Apr 21, 2018.

1. fish time

fish timeWell Known MemberMember

Hello
    So my grandpa has a cichlid tank with 5 cichlids and one of the biggest yellow labs have caughten a disease and his paremeters are fibe the other fish are perfect to, the only differrence is that some fish had babies but, the big yellow cichlid is not doing well and looks really bad and he would not want it to die so what disease could this be? He went to the petsmart but they just offerd him pimafix which is not helping at all since the fish is now at the top of the tank swimming gasping for air so please help we have no clue what we are dealing with at all
    imagejpeg_1_1.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg

2. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

First 0f all, isolate him in a breeder basket, colander, whatever. Cichlids are agressive fish and will soon enough begin to rip apart the lab.
    This looks like columnaris due to the mouth and degrading fins. Treat with something like furan, and I would do the whole tank. Columnaris most commonly infects a fish when injuries go untreated. For an African tank, it's especially important to handle injuries quick as they quickly single out weak fish and attack. I recently lost my favorite fish to this disease, it acts quick.

3. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Breeder Baskets aren't cut out for what they are supposed to be.
    They actually just stress out a fish even more.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Can you list water parameters, just to be sure? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

What size tank is this? What are the other cichlids?

5. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

In my opinion, its better than letting the fish get ripped apart.

6. OP
    OP
    fish time

Size 38 gallon

7. OP
    OP
    fish time

Sorry i did not respond, and also i dont know he did not tell me but he said the fishstore people said his paremeters are all fine which is very strange why that fish would get a disease

8. TexasDomer

Can you get exact parameters? Many fish store employees don't know what they're talking about when they look at water parameters.

The underlying issue is probably stress. 5 in a 38 gallon isn't enough (though they should be in a 4 ft tank), and there is likely bullying and aggression, stressing out this fish and making him more susceptible to diseases.

We can't rule out water quality as being an issue either, and the water may not be hard enough either, both of which can encourage diseases in these fish.

Diet can also play a role in stress and disease. Certain rift lake cichlids need particular diets, and when fed the wrong diet, they will have health issues.

9. OP
    OP
    fish time

He feeds them omega one pellets i will get the paremeters again when he test it fresh because it could change

10. TexasDomer

What kind of pellets?

And what exact species do you have?

11. OP
    OP
    fish time

Omega one cichlid pellets from petsmart and i dont know the ingredients sorry
    And the species he has is 2 yellow labs 5 inchs one black cichlid with blue lines 3 inchs, 2 orange cichlids 2 inchs , and thats about it sorry i forgot
    about what species but the yellow cichlids are both 5 inchs

12. TexasDomer

Diet is likely an issue then. Some African rift lake cichlids (like the yellow labs) need a veggie/herbivorous-heavy diet, and will not do well long term on a more protein rich diet. I would expect a combo of poor diet and stress from aggression and stocking are causing this guy to get sick.

I would separate him in his own QT tank for now, to help him heal up. Feed him a proper diet and do large and frequent water changes.

I would also fix your stocking, and for this tank, go with one group of fish - either all dwarf mbuna males, all yellow labs (1 male to multiple females), etc. You can have more than 5 in there, and this will help you with aggression and diet, since they'll all need the same diet since they're the same type.

Add lots of rock work to the tank. This can also help reduce aggression.

If you can get good pics of each fish, we can help you ID them.

13. OP
    OP
    fish time

Good news! I called him today and he said the fish is doing perfect and looks much better and is swimming now, but it still has fine bite marks but i think it will heal

14. OP
    OP
    fish time

Thanks texas doomer for the info and i will tell him to change to some herbivore diet and i will get some pictures

15. TexasDomer

Not all fish need the herbivorous diet though, and feeding the more carnivorous fish an herbivorous diet will make them sick as well.

He is likely to get picked on again. The stocking isn't okay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice