Emergency Goldfish help!

pearlypops

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok for those who don't already know about the trouble ive been having with my goldfish, about 2 weeks ago, they started acting different, sitting on the bottom of gravel and just staying there for most of the day, now 4 days ago I noticed loads of white spots on them which I have diagnosed with being ICH, anyways I have been treating them with protozin a medication for ICH and yesterday was there 3rd dose of it, now I have to wait until day 6 to give the final dose. But things are looking a lot worse, to top things off now they are not eating, they look like they have barely got the energy to even move, they just sit there while the food is above them they ALWAYS know when I'm gona feed them even before I come into them and they are always waiting at the top....not anymore,Ive had these guys for 2years now and I really ope they make it through. I have enclosed some pics of the ICH, and was hoping someone could tell me if its possible that they could recover from this, I know not eating is not a good sign, is there something I can do? p.s- please note in the last picture the long red streaky lines through the tail, what is this? thanks for reading
Pearl

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Pearl,

So sorry to hear that your fish are ill.

The red streaks you are seeing is probably Hemorrhagic Septicemia.

I'm not familiar with the medications you are using for ICH.

I've beaten ICH without the use of medications and salt.
Increasing the tank temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for a full two week period. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off of the fish and into the substrate. Warmer water requires more oxygen so adding an air stone should help.

ICH will appear worse before it gets better. Pristine water conditions are crucial at this point. Make sure new water is the same 86 degrees as the tank.

Adding Garlic Guard or garlic juice (see link below) onto the fish food, may help entice the fish to eat and too it will help to boost the fishes immune system:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...r-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/

Adding Vita Chem onto the fish food and into the tank directly will help the fishes overall health. Follow the directions on the bottle.

I'll let others give suggestions on medicines for Septicemia. When I had gold fish many years ago I lost a lot of goldfish to this disease

Best wishes!

Ken

mosaicguppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The med won't be able to treat the spots already on your fish so wait a bit. Do you test your water? the red streaks can be from poor water quality.

OP
pearlypops

pearlypops

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the info guys, I don't have a heater for my goldfish tank so am unable to raise the temp that's why I resorted to meds. I can't do a water change until 9th day from using the meds. I do hope this medication works,

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Pearl,

I understand. I hope the medicines work for you also. Keep the water as pristine as you can. Make sure you have readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates.

I think as long as the fish survive you may want to consider upgrading your fish to a larger home. These guys/girls are large waste producers and I suggest 30 gallon or more. For Comets I would go even higher.

Best wishes and keep us posted. I know how sad it is to see our fish deal with ICH and Septicemia. Not fun

Ken

OP
pearlypops

pearlypops

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, I think my goldfish may have another symptom, his eye looks like its gone really cloudy and its got 3 white dots on it, is this another symptom of the ICH? my other fishs body either looks like its loosing its colour or looking really cloudy.

gunner13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HI Pearl, try the link below and see if it helps you any.
Nick

The link takes you to the home page. Just click on disease.

gunner13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
pearlypops said:
HI gunner, it says the page cannot be displayed?? thanks
Pearl, if you click on the link again it has a bit below that says try the following. Click on the website it displays, that will take you to the home page of the site. Then scroll down to disease. It does work I just tried it.
Nick

Shine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Have you considered buying a heater for the tank?

That I 'didn't have one' was my arguement when I first encountered ich... but after the meds appeared to have no effect, I went and bought one. And treating soley with heat works.

LetMinnow

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Everyone seems to be getting ich now. My fish have got it as well.
AND IT DOESN'T WANT TO GO AWAY!

Vash

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
86F might be a little too high for goldfish. They are not tropical fish. Cupramine should work and it is the safest copper medication of all (from what I heard).

OP
pearlypops

pearlypops

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
last cry for help!

My goldfish are looking like they are ready to die the ICH looks like it has improved a heck of a lot, there are only a few spots on them, but they are not eating ANYTHING, and now they look like theyve got like a cloudy film over there body, which I guess could be velvet. there bottom of tail looks like string! They have red streaks going through there tails, I just feel helpless! tomorrow will be the last dose of there meds for ICH but ive been told if all the spots aint got the I am to repeat the meds for another course. what can I do to help boost them, ANYTHING please they are on the verge on death, I wwill do anything toget them back to their old self again,
pa I don't have a heater so I can't raise temp,
Thanks for reading,

Pearl

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Pearl,

One of our members Gremlin has a pond with koI and goldfish. If I'm not mistaken, she uses Ick Attack for her Goldfish. Maybe you can send her a PM.

I'm going to delete your new thread titled Last Cry for Help. I think it will be a lot less confusing to other members.

Best wishes!
Ken

I'm going to merge your two threads instead of deleting.
Ken

gremlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The white film and the cloudy eye and the shredded tail are all signs of poor water quality. Find some Ich Attack. It works best for goldfish. See if you can put your goldfish in a larger container - even if it is just a child's swimming pool. The higher volume of water is essential to help control the ammonia levels. You mentioned not doing a water change for several days because the medication you are using says not to. This will cause the ammonia levels in your tank to skyrocket. It is essential that you do daily water changes of about 50 %. This is another reason I like the Ich Attack. You dose the tank (with the full dose) each day after you do the water change. There is another medication called Melafix. Melafix is good for physical injuries of goldfish such as the shredded tail and the poor quality scales. If you can't find Melafix, it is basically Melaleuca Oil. You might be able to find that at a health store.

OP
pearlypops

pearlypops

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok heres thee update, I aint got a clue if I'm doing the right thing but I did what instincts told me. I went to the biggest pet store and found some melafix, I done a water change lastnight and the slightest improvent is that they are TRYING tto move from the one spot they are in. I added the 1st dose of melafix just now, and will continue to do so until day 7. The one thing I'm concerned about is that I have not finished the full dose of the medication I was using for the ICH, right or wrong I just don't think they will be able to continue without any immune boost so I have just started the melafix, ive never seen fish look as bad as they do but I hope so bad that they pull through this. thanks for reading,

Pearl

gremlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Daily water changes are very important. That is why I suggested the Ich Attack. Because it is a daily dose medication, you can still do your water changes. The melafix should help with the red streaks and the shredded tail and fin, but you still need to treat for the Ich also. Will the pet store where you found the melafix test your water for you? Or do they have test kits so you can test your water?

OP
pearlypops

pearlypops

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI Gremlin, thanks for the reply. I do have test kits, and my levels are 0 for ammonia, 0.3 for nitrite, and 20 for nitrates, I was told that the meds could make me have a slight minI cycle which it looks like it has done. I can't find ICH attack anywhere here in the UK, and when I asked my LFS if there was any other kind of ich treatment I could use while using the melafix they said they would not advise me to mix any two tretments, and to treat for one thing at a time. So I reall aint sure what to do, at this moment in time I decided to treat with the melafix as they are litrally "peeling" all there coat is just white and floating around with them, they look terrible, I am going to try and get a pic to attatch in a min. It also states with the melafix to dose for 7 days, and after that do a 20% water change, so what am I to do until then about a water change? I am just so confused and feel so helpless, ANY information would be reall helpfull, thanks
Pearl

well it looks like the worst is here, just went to take a pic and saw that my female is floating upside down and all over the place jusst being taken by the current, she is till breathing but doubt very much that there is a comeback from this? I don't think it gets worse than this does it? I am so upset, I wish there is something I could do ???

its too late, one of them have now died, I WILL NEVER buy another live plant again, by adding this 1 live plant, than a week later going back to the place I brought it from a seeing that the whole tank was infested with ICH, this caused my fish to die! 1 lowsey plant!

gremlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can still do daily water changes with Melafix - since you are redosing the tank every day. The medicine part of the melafix is used up in 24 hours. If possible, you can raise the temp of the tank to 86 degrees farenheit. It won't hurt your goldies, but it will speed up the life cycle of the ich so it can die. Daily gravel vacs and water changes with the higher temps will take care of the ich - usually in about 2 weeks. Your goldies may spend a lot of time sitting on the bottom of the tank, but the higher temps won't "hurt" them. They can tolerate it for the length of the treatment. Next time you get a plant, rinse it well and dip it in one of the disinfectant baths...here is a link with a couple of ideas

OP
pearlypops

pearlypops

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI Gremlin, that's good to know that I can continue doing daily water changes while using the melafix! in regards to raising the temp, I don't have a heater for my coldwater tank, that is why I resorted to meds....any other ideas? oh and thanks for the link, I wish I had seen that before I ever got a live plant!
Oh and my net that I got my dead fish out with had loads of the white coat on it from my goldy, is putting the net in a sink of hot water enough to kill anything on it before I use it in my tropical tank???

New Threads