EMERGENCY! Goldfish fin rot! HELP!

LWormy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello! My fantail goldfish had developed fin rot and now there are red streaks on the tip of his fin. The tip of his tail is white and I can see it rotting away. He got the fin rot because nippy tank mates (whom I removed) and my goldfish live in a 32 gallon planted tank with cherry shrimps, MTS, and trapdoor snails. He is the only fish in the tank. My ammonia&nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 0 as well since I run my tank with an aquaponic system. I do weekly water changes and my temp is about 70 F with pH of 8.2. Yesterday the bottom portion of his tail split in half for no apparent reason. There are no sharp object in the tank except for some MTS. I had been treating him with 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon and Melafix for one week now but I see no improvement. Now I ran out of Melafix and do not intend to buy it again since it did nothing. I can see that the meds slowed down the fin rot for a little but not much. What should I do? I don't want my goldfish to die because I became very attached to him. Melafix isn't working for me. What meds are effective against fin rot that won't demolish my tank?

Please help me!

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The best cure for Finrot is pristine water Up your water change schedule to daily, and you should see an improvement.

OP
LWormy

LWormy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Danjamesdixon said:
The best cure for Finrot is pristine water Up your water change schedule to daily, and you should see an improvement.
Just curious, what is the purpose of water changes when my nitrate is at a constant zero? What do it do to help the situation?

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
0 Nitrates doesn't equal pristine water There are always trace amounts of things you don't want in your water - be it external toxins that have entered the water (dust, aerosols etc), products of the ongoing cycle, and whatever else. Fresh water is highly oxygenated, and free from all impurities.

To use an analogy - what would you rather? The dusty, month old water from the back of the cupboard, or the fresh, clean, cool new water from the fridge?

OP
LWormy

LWormy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Danjamesdixon said:
0 Nitrates doesn't equal pristine water There are always trace amounts of things you don't want in your water - be it external toxins that have entered the water (dust, aerosols etc), products of the ongoing cycle, and whatever else. Fresh water is highly oxygenated, and free from all impurities.

To use an analogy - what would you rather? The dusty, month old water from the back of the cupboard, or the fresh, clean, cool new water from the fridge?
I have aquarium salt and remaining Melafix in the water. Is it okay to remove them with daily water changes? Would that do more good than bad? Also, how much water do I need to remove each time? I am pretty busy so is daily water changes for 1 week enough to cure the fin rot?

oOBlueOo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just out of curiosity, did you remove the carbon from the filter (if you use it) before treating the fish with melafix? Carbon will clear out medications, which is why they're good to use after treatments are complete.

OP
LWormy

LWormy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I did remove the carbon. Anyone have answers to my questions in my earlier post? Please this's is an emergency because my goldfish is getting worse. Also, how exactly do water changes help an infected goldfish? Wouldn't it only prevent fin rot? Any otther ideas to how I should treat him?

OP
LWormy

LWormy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just did a 20% water change and removed some fish poop from the sand. Will a pic of the goldfish help?

hollie1505

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Melafix is very mild, it generally won't fix what clean water can't. What is your water change schedule? I would be performing at least 80% changes daily until he recovers.

A picture would help.

Kanaplex can treat fin rot but I would only use it when absolutely necessary as the fish can build an immunity to it. Try huge, daily changes in the first instance, multiple if you can.xx

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Keep up what you are doing daily, I can't say for how long you will need to do it other than - until he/she is cured Might be a few days, might be a few weeks. But that is the duty of care we take on when we keep these fish.

I'm not sure what more you want me to say - logic dictates that fresh, dechlorinated water is cleaner than say, day old/2 days old water. I understand daily water changes is a lot of work, but as I said - it's a duty of care, and Goldies especially are a lot of work.

One note to add. Throwing meds at something out of the ordinary as soon as you see it is not the way to go. Meds are VERY harsh on fish, moreso than you realize - and can often cause more harm than good, especially when stacking them like you have been doing here. Not slating you, it's just a tip worth mentioning.

Beeker

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the goldfish has fin rot, the best bet is large water changes.
If you see redness in the tips of the fins, it is probably due to stress from the illness or perhaps increased circulation to the area as a way for the fish to heal itself. The split can be an injury or even self-inflicted.
A picture will help.
It is important to try to remain calm. If you get too concerned about treating it with meds, you may medicate in a way that will do more harm than good. There are times, and they are more common than not, that you should not medicate at all, just keep up water changes.

OP
LWormy

LWormy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Beeker said:
If the goldfish has fin rot, the best bet is large water changes.
If you see redness in the tips of the fins, it is probably due to stress from the illness or perhaps increased circulation to the area as a way for the fish to heal itself. The split can be an injury or even self-inflicted.
A picture will help.
It is important to try to remain calm. If you get too concerned about treating it with meds, you may medicate in a way that will do more harm than good. There are times, and they are more common than not, that you should not medicate at all, just keep up water changes.
Ok, I guess I will stick with 30% water changes then. I am very busy so I probably won't be able to do 80% WC. Hopefully you are right and the red edge is a sign of him getting better. He is still very energetic and eating a lot so it's probably not life-threatening yet. I will wait until he is more sleepy to take a clear picture. Also, some people told me raising water temp help goldfish fin rot and others told me dropping water temp help fin rot. Which one is correct? Any ideas or experiences from you guys?

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Neither will make a sizable difference. Raising the temperature helps with Ich, and a few other parasites, but not Finrot. I've never heard of lowering the temperature to cure ANY ailment - although don't take that as law.

Just keep up the water changes, and you might be surprised

OP
LWormy

LWormy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok. I will keep you guys updated on how he is doing. Btw, here are the pics I took. Sorry they are a little blurry but its hard to get a clear pic when he is moving so much.

OP
LWormy

LWormy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In these picture you can see that the end of the tail is rotting away. They have jagged, white edges.

In these pictures you can see that the bottom portion of the tail is split in half. Here is a pic of the normal side (the one that isn't damaged)

Here is the side that is damaged:

See the bottom part? The fantail's tail is ripped and a flimsy part of the tail is flailing around. His swimming ability did not seem to be impaired. The actual split wound is not infected but the tip of the ripped off tail part is mildly rotting. Ideas?

Jomolager

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is there any way you could move him into a 20 gallon? Even if it is a plastic tub?

It would be easier for you to take care of him and you could make larger water changes. 30% will not cut it. It should be at least 80%. Every day.

To strengthen his immunity I would soak his food in a few drops of vita-chem or Garlic Guard.

I am very sorry you have to go through this. Your Fantail looks gorgeous. Good luck to you.

OP
LWormy

LWormy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you and OK I will now start 80% WC. I have no where else to put him so I will stick him in his old tank and remove 24 gallon of water daily. Can anyone tell anything from the pics? Is his case very severe? Its my first time dealing with fin rot so I am not sure if he is in a bad condition or just a mild case.

hollie1505

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say that your Goldie has a mild case. This is one of mine when it was bad, I'd call this severe. Keep up with those 80% changes, if it gets worse, get back to us. It may not get better for a couple of days but as long as it isn't getting worse, you're on the right track.xx

Attachments

OP
LWormy

LWormy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The bottom half now split into 3 parts and look like 2 of them are about to fall off. I hope it's just throwing away dead tissues and growing new ones. As for the other more serious infection, I don't really see much improvement. I am still doing WC though. Just a thought, would it help to maybe remove the infected part with a surgical scissor and let it grow back? If the bacteria (the white edge) is eating away the fin, what if I cut that white edge off and maintain water quality until the tail grow back? Is it possible?

New Threads