How long has the tank been running?
5 weeks without fish 3 weeks with fish
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
80 degrees Fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
(Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 golddust lytail mollie

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
once/twice a week
How much of the water do you change?
10-20%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachem prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum substrate and siphon water (fluval stratum substrate)

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
Api master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
pH: 6.6ppm

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Once a day
How much do you feed your fish?
Small pinch, what she can eat in about a minute

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
omega 1 fresh water flakes
Do you feed frozen?
No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
5 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Swimming erratically, I suspect it’s due to the acidic ph but that is what my local fish store kept them at.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
N/a

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

So I currently have a 10 gallon planted tank, with fluval stratum. I have had one gold dust Molly for about 6 weeks now and she seemed fine up until this morning. I quickly took out my api master kit to measure and the parameters where good, (parameters listed in questionnaire above) I quarantined her before I put here in my main tank for 3 weeks and she was fine. The ph has been stable but of course with fluval stratum buffer it sits at 6.6ppm. I realize this is low so this might be the culprit. I know it’s the substrate doing buffering as my tap is 8.2 after out for 24 hours. When I add water I slowly drip it in with a siphon with a drip control to not swing the ph, it takes about 2 hours and the ph stays a constant 6.6 throughout. I have about 2 tsps of crushed coral in my filter that I added when I started the tank but it hasn’t seem to do much. I understand the substrate will eventually exhaust itself but Of course I’m just concerned about my molly. This is my only and first tank and I’m not quite sure what to do. I’m certain I made a mistake in having this mollie in a such a low ph. Should I set up a new tank with my tap (ph8.2) and just add some media from my existing 10 gallon?

Ghelfaire

You could, you would have to acclimate her slowly.
Is she pregnant? Mollies can store sperm from males until they are comfortable enough to get themselves pregnant.
I know female livebearers will swim erratically or wiggle in one place when they are getting ready to give birth.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jubie101
Replies
Views
applejax
Replies
Views
JHR323
Replies
Views