EMERGENCY! Filter not turning on!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by blakeugan, Jul 3, 2016.

1. blakeugan

blakeugan Well Known Member Member

Hey guys. Quick overview. 20 gallon long. Fully stocked. Just finished a water change, which I've most definitely done before. Replugged in my filter (an aqua clear 50) and it's not filtering. I hear the slight mechanical hum from the filter but it's not doing anything! WHAT DO I DO?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Have you primed it? Pour water into it. That should get it started.
    If not make sure the in take is firmly in place where it sets in with the impeller.
    (Hope that made sense)>

3. OP
    OP
    blakeugan

Yeah it's filled with water..

4. j

jpm995 Well Known Member Member

Most of the times the impeller sticks. Disconnect and clean the impellor and cavity. I try to get it running in the sink before i put it together. Sometimes i can 'kickstart' it by spinning the impeller. The metal rod in the middle gets worn. Be careful if you try this. Use a gfi outlet and rubber gloves to avoid possible shock.

5. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

Every time mine won't start up its an intake thing, like Lucy said if its not seated right, I wiggle the intake and it starts sucking again.

6. OP
    OP
    blakeugan

Update: don't know what was wrong, but I fixed it by unplugging and rep lugging the motor.

Thanks for all of your help

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2016
  7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Whenever that happens to my AquaClear, I just move the tube out of the way and stick my finger in and touch the impeller. It immediately starts spinning again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice