Emergency Betta Fish Dying!!! Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Bettafishgal, Apr 25, 2019.

1. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

My betta fish trundle is at the bottom of his tank, i asked my sister to take care of him and his body is doubled the size it was and he is so pale!!! He's at the bottom of the tank he's in a 1 gal filtered with a heater and something's hanging from under his chin, I'm 100% he wont make it through the day PLEASE HELP! (NO PHOTO'S FROM NO CAMERA)))

PH:7.6
    Ammonia:0.50
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:2.5 (i'd say)
    (getting the other's done RN)

EDIT: He's got servere finrot.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

No camera? I really can’t help you, he needs a bigger tank, than a 1 gal. But you can deal with that later! What does the thing dangling from his lip look like? If he is really bloated, then feed him teeny tiny cut up pieces of peas.

3. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

He's at the bottom of the tank! it looks like alittle white piece hanging from under his chin, im doing the api water test right now.

4. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Are his scales sticking out making him almost look like a pinecone? It's hard without a picture to understand what's going on

5. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I agree with @AngryRainbow, a picture is worth a thousand words........I will need the tests please. :)

6. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

7. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

How long was the beta in your sisters care and was he behaving normal before she took care of him?

8. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

He was in her care for 2 days he was acting normal before but she said she did nothing but feed him once!!!

9. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Ammonia is a little high, a water change might help

Plus you say he has severe fin rot? How long has he had that? Water needs to be kept pristine, fin rot is caused by poor water quality

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2019
  10. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Yes, do a 50% water change NOW to stop may further damage!!

11. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

Honestly I was so stupid, I didnt know he needed a filter or a heater (now he has both) Today I was going to start medicine that looks like this:
    API Fungus on Day-1,2,3
    Furan-2-only on Day-2
    Yes, Furan-2 and API Fungus both on the second day.
    Then change 50% water on day 4. And repeat this steps until it cures.

12. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

does he have fungus on his fins or why are you treating for fungus. Fin rot is bacterial typically

13. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

The API fungus treat's finrot aswell.

155622943442144297584.jpg

Here is a better picture of what's under his chin.

1556229707175-472788819.jpg

He's breathing so hard.

14. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Not sure about what's under his chin, I've never seen that before.

But even after treating for fin rot, you've got to stay on top of the water quality or he'll get it again

15. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

I understand that.... He's my first ever betta It's so hard seeing him like this. :(:(:(:arghh::arghh::arghh:

They are sticking out like a pinecone now that im looking! He's about 5-4 shades lighter then what he normally is.

16. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Yeah I know what you mean. Hopefully someone else can help with the white lump

17. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

Im so confused, what's the pineconing mean?!? I'm doing a 50% rn, i'm also about to feed him a pea.

18. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

It doesn't look like he is to me in the photos. But this is an example of pineconing. It means the fish has dropsy which unfortunately has no cure and the fish should be euthanized

19. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Can you take a top down picture of the fish?
    Dropsy can be cured, but it's lethal 95% of the time, as it's a symptom of kidney failure, but is just as dangerous as the kidney failing, so that's two potentially fatal things to deal with.
    To me, it does not look like your fish has that. I'm having a hard time seeing the chin as well, any chance you can get a clearer picture? Sorry

20. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

Edit: I think it's dropsy I feel like I failed my fish so badly, I cant stop crying.... How do i put him Humanly.... :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears: