Important Emergency Betta Fish Dying!!!

Bettafishgal

Reaction score
My betta fish trundle is at the bottom of his tank, I asked my sister to take care of him and his body is doubled the size it was and he is so pale!!! He's at the bottom of the tank he's in a 1 gal filtered with a heater and something's hanging from under his chin, I'm 100% he won't make it through the day PLEASE HELP! (NO PHOTO'S FROM NO CAMERA)))

PH:7.6
Ammonia:0.50
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:2.5 (i'd say)
(getting the other's done RN)

EDIT: He's got servere finrot.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No camera? I really can’t help you, he needs a bigger tank, than a 1 gal. But you can deal with that later! What does the thing dangling from his lip look like? If he is really bloated, then feed him teeny tiny cut up pieces of peas.

OP
Bettafishgal

Bettafishgal

Reaction score
PheonixKingZ said:
No camera? I really can’t help you, he needs a bigger tank, than a 1 gal. But you can deal with that later! What does the thing dangling from his lip look like? If he is really bloated, then feed him teeny tiny cut up pieces of peas.
He's at the bottom of the tank! it looks like alittle white piece hanging from under his chin, I'm doing the apI water test right now.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Are his scales sticking out making him almost look like a pinecone? It's hard without a picture to understand what's going on

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
How long was the betta in your sisters care and was he behaving normal before she took care of him?

OP
Bettafishgal

Bettafishgal

Reaction score
He was in her care for 2 days he was acting normal before but she said she did nothing but feed him once!!!

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Ammonia is a little high, a water change might help

Plus you say he has severe fin rot? How long has he had that? Water needs to be kept pristine, fin rot is caused by poor water quality

OP
Bettafishgal

Bettafishgal

Reaction score
AngryRainbow said:
Plus you say he has severe fin rot? How long has he had that? Water needs to be kept pristine, fin rot is caused by poor water quality
Honestly I was so stupid, I didnt know he needed a filter or a heater (now he has both) Today I was going to start medicine that looks like this:
API Fungus on Day-1,2,3
Furan-2-only on Day-2
Yes, Furan-2 and API Fungus both on the second day.
Then change 50% water on day 4. And repeat this steps until it cures.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Bettafishgal said:
Honestly I was so stupid, I didnt know he needed a filter or a heater (now he has both) Today I was going to start medicine that looks like this:
API Fungus on Day-1,2,3
Furan-2-only on Day-2
Yes, Furan-2 and API Fungus both on the second day.
Then change 50% water on day 4. And repeat this steps until it cures.
does he have fungus on his fins or why are you treating for fungus. Fin rot is bacterial typically

OP
Bettafishgal

Bettafishgal

Reaction score
AngryRainbow said:
does he have fungus on his fins or why are you treating for fungus. Fin rot is bacterial typically
The API fungus treat's finrot aswell.

155622943442144297584.jpg

Here is a better picture of what's under his chin.

1556229707175-472788819.jpg

He's breathing so hard.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Not sure about what's under his chin, I've never seen that before.

But even after treating for fin rot, you've got to stay on top of the water quality or he'll get it again

OP
Bettafishgal

Bettafishgal

Reaction score
AngryRainbow said:
Not sure about what's under his chin, I've never seen that before.

But even after treating for fin rot, you've got to stay on top of the water quality or he'll get it again
I understand that.... He's my first ever betta It's so hard seeing him like this. :arghh::arghh::arghh:

AngryRainbow said:
Are his scales sticking out making him almost look like a pinecone? It's hard without a picture to understand what's going on
They are sticking out like a pinecone now that I'm looking! He's about 5-4 shades lighter then what he normally is.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Bettafishgal said:
They are sticking out like a pinecone now that I'm looking! He's about 5-4 shades lighter then what he normally is.
Yeah I know what you mean. Hopefully someone else can help with the white lump

OP
Bettafishgal

Bettafishgal

Reaction score
AngryRainbow said:
Yeah I know what you mean. Hopefully someone else can help with the white lump
I'm so confused, what's the pineconing mean?!? I'm doing a 50% rn, i'm also about to feed him a pea.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
It doesn't look like he is to me in the photos. But this is an example of pineconing. It means the fish has dropsy which unfortunately has no cure and the fish should be euthanized

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Can you take a top down picture of the fish?
Dropsy can be cured, but it's lethal 95% of the time, as it's a symptom of kidney failure, but is just as dangerous as the kidney failing, so that's two potentially fatal things to deal with.
To me, it does not look like your fish has that. I'm having a hard time seeing the chin as well, any chance you can get a clearer picture? Sorry

OP
Bettafishgal

Bettafishgal

Reaction score
AngryRainbow said:
It doesn't look like he is to me in the photos. But this is an example of pineconing. It means the fish has dropsy which unfortunately has no cure and the fish should be euthanized

Edit: I think it's dropsy I feel like I failed my fish so badly, I can't stop crying.... How do I put him Humanly.... :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

New Threads